Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on taking a trip down to Helen GA. Anyone know of any good places to camp or stay close to the downtown village? Cant decide yet if i'm going to stay somwhere or camp at a close nearby campground. Also any nice roads and sites to see?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've only been over there once on my bike (I'm on the I-75 side of N.Ga), but when I met some friends there, I think I took 348, and it was a decent little road. When in Helen, you might consider going North on 17/75, left onto 180, left onto 348, then left onto 75 again to get back into Helen. It's about a 40 mile loop. If you're looking for a longer ride, just get creative. Not too many roads up there are bad, but just about any of them are subject to "Sunday drivers" on nicer days.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
You're in luck, there are lots of excellent roads. My favorite is Hwy 19 from Turners Corner to Vogel State Park (this is called Blood Mountain). Hwy 60 is good to the west from where it splits off Hwy 19, has some nice twisties on both sides of Suches. From Suches there is a backroad going back up to Hwy 19 and ending at Vogel State Park, called Wolfpen Gap Road (180). This is one of the more challenging rides because it is narrow, twisty, hilly, wooded, and sometimes has gravel in the turns so be warned. Closer to Helen, the Richard B. Russell Scenic Hwy (Hwy 348 ) has some nice twisties and good scenery from where it starts west of Helen to about halfway out to 180.

If you like waterfalls, Anna Ruby Falls and Amicalola Falls are pretty, nice hikes. Brasstown Bald has good views. Tallulah Gorge is pretty. Some good BBQ in Dahlonega at Smokin' Gold, not far from the Gold Museum.

Helen is a kitschy faux German tourist mecca, shops and restaurants, lots to do if that is your thing. The surrounding areas have good motorcycle roads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, awesome thanks! I'm trying to find somewhere close to helen to possibly camp in a wooded area. I got a eagles nest hammock as my tent so i'll need trees to string it up. Also a campground that permits cold beer preferably. After a long day of riding and site seeing I likes me some cold beers. There's a couple of state park campgrounds I found but they seem to frown on cold beers. I might just end up staying in a hotel somewhere in Helen within walking distant to the village. I just decided today I'm going and well be down there 26-28 of this month.

·
Registered
326 Posts
vogel state park, on the other side of the valley, but us 129 is worth the trip into helen. watch out for cops on friday and saturday. rodes are clean and in good repair. DO NOT RIDE WOLF PEN GAP!!! TREACHEROUS!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've ridden Wolf Pen Gap a few times, I think.. It sounds very familiar!

I was in a camp site just outside of Helen a month after I got my bike. I was there with a few friends, and we were drinking. Cops came, but they didn't care about us drinking, just said to keep it out of sight (keep it in Solo cups or put the cans in coozies, etc. so it's not obvious that it's alcohol). They were actually checking on the campsite next to us. It was interesting entertainment as they walked a few (clearly) inebriated (and very obviously) minors back down to the parking lot. Not to say that your experience will be so entertaining or that you'd have such friendly experience with a Ranger/Cop if visited by one..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry fish, it was several years ago. Only remember how I learned very quickly how to ride on a gravel road (it was just a couple weeks after I got my bike), and that I ended up sleeping in my mummy bag in a hammock when it was mid-30's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We did a motorcycle meet in Helen, GA last year. We stayed at the Hofbrau Riverfront motel. Not the greatest but they were very accommodating to our large and rowdy group. It was right in town and walking distance to the beer store. Also we could walk to the restaurants within Helen, have a few brews and stumble back to the motel. There is a little creek that the hotel backs up to. One afternoon we brought the chairs down to the creek bed, had some beers and watched the folks pass by on tubes.

Here is a link to the pics. In some of them you can see the motel. https://picasaweb.google.com/112624...&authkey=Gv1sRgCLadxK2S5eT1aQ&feat=directlink

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I've camped in that area on a motorcycle trip, last year. Our group stayed at the Enota Retreat, near Brasstown Bald, in the North Georgia mountains. I can recommend it.

http://www.enota.com/

A favorite place to stay in that area for many years was Two Wheels Only motorcycle resort, but, that place closed in the past year.

davidddowns2000 knows that area well; follow his route advice. FWIW, Wolf Pen Gap Road reminds me of the Tail of the Dragon, exept, instead of elevation changes, you have to deal with the narrowness of the road and the fact that the woods come right up to both sides of the road bed. There is ZERO room for error. Ride it, but, be careful!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks guys. I check enota and they are all booked up when I'm wanting to go. Some kind of damn conviction goin on. Looks like I might be staying at the Days Inn in Helen. They say it's 10mins walking distance with-in down town. It's like 75 bucks to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts