Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Naked.
Installed the Oxford Heated Grips.

Was very very careful to clean everything, line everything up, check everything DRY (no glue) before I did anything else, make sure there were no snags, etc.

left grip went on great. right grip went on great. checked the throttle play -- great.

then went to wire everything up and make sure it all works before i start tucking all the wiring away.

works great.... except ..... NOW MY THROTTLE TUBE WONT CLOSE.

it just stays where i leave it. i have to manual close it. there's also no left-right play unless i really wiggle it.

i was able to pull the grip off and clean it as best i could, but it's still completely stuck.

i'm guessing i got some glue between the white plastic throttle tube and the metal bar itself? is that what i did??

NOW WHAT? do i have to get a new throttle tube? i'm at a complete loss, and very mad at myself.

i'm not very mechanically inclined -- this was probably the most work ive actually done to my bike besides bleeding the rear brake a couple weeks ago (which i should mention i did without fail, so i'm not a COMPLETE idiot).

thanks in advance for the help.

-jk

·
Super Moderator
8,095 Posts
What GC said.

Or is the grip touching at the clamshell side?

Try loosen the clamshell screws, move things around, see if that helps. If so, then retighten, checking for free movement as you go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was glue. I put a bit too much glue on the inside of the grip and when I pushed it onto the throttle tube, some of it splooged out and got between the throttle tube and the metal bar itself.

Undid the throttle cable cluster and took everything apart, cleaned up the metal bar and throttle tube and put everything back together -- no issues! 2nd time around I only put glue on the throttle tube itself (not on the inside of the grip) and it went on clean and without fail.

Thanks for the replies! I freaked out and had no idea what to do for a short while, but the internet came to the rescue as usual.

And, if anyone is reading -- those Oxford grips are HOT, and are pretty awesome. Super happy I put them on (even though it gave me a self-induced headache for a few hours).

-jk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you for letting us know you solved the problem OP, so often threads are left dangling.

I’m pleased it was a simple fix. I have Oxford grips on my Triumph Scrambler, and I agree they do get quite hot... just what is needed on a cold day. I’m very happy with mine also.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts