Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally caved and bought a set of heated grips today at Cycle Gear, and am extremely frustrated wit the product.
I got a TrackSide kit: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_A99-00010
which the guy at the shop said would just slide right on.

After I got home, it was very clear this was not going to be an easy job.
First, the grips wouldn't fit over the throttle tube. So I did a little sanding, got out the WD40, and put a lot of muscle into it. Finally if went out, but the grip now feels uneven.

Once it got on, the throttle tube is now TIGHT, and the throttle cable won't pull the throttle back.

Has anybody else ran into these same problems?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
there shoudl be two sizes- right one is larger because of throttle tube.

also, did it mention making a hole on the end for the bar end or anything?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
* You need to cut the end off the grip so it's open.
* You most likely need to sand down the throttle tube so it's smooth (or very nearly smooth).
* Use hairspray when putting the grips on.

Check the Canyon Chasers site for some great instructions on installing heated grips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the grip on, but it's so tight that the throttle won't spring back. Any suggestions gor getting it off the throttle tube so I can do a little more sanding?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
compressed air works surprisingly well. grip kinda balloons up and ah, flutters and you can work it off. be careful what you put on the grip / bar, slippery is good now and bad later.

what part is tight? did you not leave enough wire slack or do you think the tight grip fit is compressing the tube and creating binding / friction?

a.s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grip itself is too tight on the throttle tube, and is creating friction so it's not twisting smoothly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The trackside grips are not really worth a darn. They generate no heat what so ever. Threw mine out and kept the resistor dial, to use with some under grip style warmers. I cut the outer ridge on the end of the throttle tube and they slid right over. But the throttle side woudl slide around because of the hard plastic inside them. I would not cut them just yet. I would take them back and purchase a set of the under grip style.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I recommend Kimpex grip heaters.
Have em on all my bikes. Inexpensive and really work well.
Wrap left side handlebar with rubber electrictian's tape or shrink wrap to insulate against heat loss into the metal.

Wire em up with a relay switched to the ignition so you don't drain the battery with the key off..

There are several good writeups on them if you do a search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts