Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's cold, I don't want to be cold. What current draw will the sv650 handle before crapping out the battery/charging? (Ie, how much cushion do I have to add wired heated gear) I'm also considering changing out lights for LEDs to cut down draw. Thanks and happy holidays!!

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
Lots of folks run heated gear on the SV650, no problem. The gen2 has a 375W generator, gen1 is 400W, both have good enough reserve for heated gear.

Your Naked SV has one headlight (vs two for sport) so you have 60W to spare right off the bat. Running an LED headlight will give even more margin.

If you run heated grips be sure they turn off automatically when the ignition is off (use a relay controlled by ignition power) else you will forget to shut them off and kill you battery. :evil6:

Good idea to install a voltmeter to keep an eye on charging. Voltage less than 12.6v means the battery is discharging. With heated gear on you will see < 12.6v at idle, this is normal as the generator does not put out rated power until 5k rpm or more. Once the revs are up your should see 14v if all is well.

You will want to be sure the battery is in good shape to handle discharge while idling and extra load when cranking the starter with gear on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lots of battery power jackets, gloves and socks are available - nice thing is you are toasty until you get back inside, not just while on your bike. that said, the message above is right on - you can accessorize away...like maybe a charge port or two for the battery packs for your jacket.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been running a heated jacket, heated grips, and USB charger at maximum settings for hours on road trips without a voltage drop (always above 14.3V above 3k RPM). I do have an LED headlight, indicators and Teeriver's MultiBot to display the voltage at the battery.

As long as you keep the revs high enough and your battery is healthy you can probably add even more accessories (heated pants, socks, ...). However, if you do a lot of stop and go or city traffic, you won't be able to run all accessories at full power for extended periods of time without discharging your battery. On the other hand there's no need to max out the heated jacket in city traffic. It'll get painfully hot quickly.

Here's an older thread on this topic with electrical load numbers provided by the esteemed Teeriver himself: https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382250#/topics/382250

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed out all my bulbs to LED's, headlights, turns, brake/tail. EZPZ, plug and play. Change them out just like replacing a regular bulb. MUCH more light and much less current. I believe the headlight is an H-4 bulb. Cyclops has very good motorcycle headlight LED bulbs.

Superbrightleds.com has a very good selection of the smaller bulbs. Get RED LED bulbs used behind RED lenses (brake/tail), Amber behind amber lenses (turn), etc. Get the brightest (highest lumens) for the size/type bulb you can find.

Superbright also has a tiny programmable modulator for your brake light for $7, if you are into that kind of thing and like living longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Venture heated gear, ventureheat.com. Excellent jacket, pant and glove liners, all daisy chain together. I plug mine right into the batter tender cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts