Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I just bought a 2003 sv650s, i'll post photos soon. I've ridden a ton of miles on other bikes, including my v-max, including all of route 66 from chicago to santa monica.

I live in michigan, and i end up riding when it's cold out way too often. It might be 75 degrees in the daytime and be 55 degrees for the ride home from work in the morning.

I want to build a suit that is heated by liquid. I'm thinking that it should be a thin suit that can be worn under my riding gear. Basically a thin layer of material that has small flexible non-kinking tubing attached that runs up/down the entire body. I've built lots of jacuzzi buses and have a lot of plumbing expierence. The liquid would be heated utilizing engine coolant using a plate heat exchanger. This allows the riding suit liquid to be heated by yet never come in contact with engine coolant, and also allows the user to control the temperature of the riding suit liquid. Say,,105 degrees. The system would need a good quick connect system, a small pump, heat exchanger, and temperature controller.

What do ya guys think? Stupid idea? or a fun yet rewarding project?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would say rather difficult, but not stupid. It would interesting to see how it comes out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably doable, but it does seem like it would be much cheaper and easier to just buy an electric vest and some heated grips.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The stunt drivers in that "Stunt-show" thing at Disneyworld have vests that run cold water through tubing to keep them cool. They all love it. I see no problem with being able to just heat up the water.

Can't wait to see results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Google "CoolShirt" and racing for the stuff mentioned above. The coolshirt works great with ice/water in the summer -- just use hot water in the winter.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Hmmm... 55* isn't even cold though. I'm still wearing kevlar jeans and a leather jacket in that weather... (i'm not trying to be "cool", I'm just saying)

I think you'll get tons of feedback here on the forums cus many of us ride to stupid temperatures. (14* m'self).

Killing the wind = priority #1 when you're getting into truly cold weather.

Welcome to the forums :D
(can't see the pic of your bike though ???)

S

·
0 Posts
55 degrees? Gheesh, I rode to work this morning in 10 degrees, plus a wicked wind from the North making it feel like -5. Admittedly, I'm not commuting 50 miles down the highway; just across the city.

Heated grips, DL650 handguards, and proper riding gear with warm clothes underneath. Oh, and a neck/chin warmer.

Nice bike, BTW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts