Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my bike to work today which I don't normally do.
It's about a 35 mile commute each way.

** When I've been driving on side streets (because highway wind plus engine sounds causes too much noise) I've noticed a small knock or "click".
There a small initial "knock" then following a slightly higher pitch "knock or knick" right after.
It sort of sounds like a part is hitting another part (for reference).

I looked at my chain, I couldn't see anything, it is tightened.
I looked at my brake pads, one seemed a little low in the back but will probably suffice for now.
I had my valves done at around 23.5k miles and today I just hit 28k.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

It sounds like it is coming from the back of the bike more so than the front.
I can sort of feel it with my feet when they are sitting on my pegs.

It doesn't do this when the bike is off and being rolled. I also noticed a squeek when rolling my back when it's not running. I was thinking this was more of a sign to replace brake pads but I'm not sure about the "knocking" noise.
It seems to do this only when it is running and shifting through gears.

I would apprecaite the help, I don't want to drive my car! ha

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Does the sound get faster the faster you go? Clutch in or out? Brakes on or off, front/rear? Pull the clutch in and rev the engine, does the frequency change with engine (not bike) speed?

I'd *really* look at the chain closer, is there 1 to 2 inches of play?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the sound get faster the faster you go? Clutch in or out? Brakes on or off, front/rear? Pull the clutch in and rev the engine, does the frequency change with engine (not bike) speed?

I'd *really* look at the chain closer, is there 1 to 2 inches of play?
It doesn't seem to get faster than I go..
It's like a random Knock, Knick.
I hear it when riding / giving it gas. However I don't recall hearing it when I had the clutch fully pulled in.
I was not using the brakes when I hear it.
I have not pull the clutch in and revved it, I'll go do that right now.

As for play in my chain, I would have to measure it...
I recenly just tightened it up because it was horribly loose. I'd say about a month maybe.

--- Ok I sat and revved the engine.. The clicking didn't occur.
I have a feeling it has something to do with the chain because I rolled it up and down the street with both the clutch fully engaged and giving it gas in gear and I heard it.
It just sound like it is coming from the middle of the bike where the chain is less accessible.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'd check the chain too, mine was getting loud this last week and it was really starting to freak me out. It went away after I tightened my chain which needed to be done, and I had just put a new back tire on last week. My chain also has 15K on it so it might be getting old.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking that might be the case?
It's extremely confusing.
I just road it up the street and back.
The click, clack happens both when I engage the clutch all the way and let it roll as well as...
-- When I'm actually engaging the clutch and letting it off to switch into gear. It happens much more when I'm playing with the clutch and getting into gear.
When the clutch is in and I'm rolling it seems to happen a lot less. Kind of random.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just rolled it back in to park it.
I heard the the same noise but it was very faint while rolling it.
Then when I had it tilted a little bit to angle it into its parking spot I heard the noise much louder but it didn't have the second "knick" to follow the first.
If I can't manage to figure out what's going on, I'm just going to take it in and get it serviced.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
How do your sprockets look? My guess is your sprocket(s) is worn and the teeth are 'hooking' the chain when it rotates. Happened to a buddy of mine, we couldn't figure it out for a while, I could even hear it when riding behind him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do your sprockets look? My guess is your sprocket(s) is worn and the teeth are 'hooking' the chain when it rotates. Happened to a buddy of mine, we couldn't figure it out for a while, I could even hear it when riding behind him.
I've been trying to look at them but I feel like this might be the problem.
I'm going to verify it again but it looks like one of my sprocket's teeth might have been ground down or sharpened a "wee-bit" in comparison with the other teeth.
I'll look at this further another time and report back.
Regardless, I'll be staying off of my bike until I have this fixed. The noise (which I bet everyone around me could hear) scared the crap out of me.
If anyone else has a good idea of what might be going on or would like to back up one of these ideas please post!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Post up some pictures. They should be more square vs a shark tooth look to them.

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts
... I've noticed a small knock or "click".
As mentioned, that is the signature sound of a worn out chain. 15k miles is typical chain life on the SV, give or take. If it is in that range, you are probably due.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As mentioned, that is the signature sound of a worn out chain. 15k miles is typical chain life on the SV, give or take. If it is in that range, you are probably due.
I don't think it is even close to a shark tooth.
I'll get some pictures as soon as possible.
The PO told me when I purchased it that he had just done the sprockets and chain. That's only about 5k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I suggest checking the chain, but if he changed the sprocket count on it and used the same link count chain, this could be the issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has been a while since I've have posted anything about this situation.
Figured I would leave a quick update.
It's awesome when you take off your rear wheel and realize that the dumb ass that changed your sprocket last didn't put the wheel spacer back in causing my bearings to grind to shreads and require replacement.
Yayyy!
It has been fixed but this definitely turned me off from ever getting my bike worked on from anyone else but myself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
holy crap man....what idiots....I always double check their work....I've learned the same lesson, doing most of the work myself.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
+1

But... Once upon a time I left out my front wheel spacer on gsxr front end. went around blok and luckily only warped a rotor. Yup fail sauce! Be careful when you do your own work.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts