Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Am i right in saying yo are the one that has been trying to get health insurance for a while now and being refused because of a pre-existing condition? I know that some health insurers really frown upon motorcycle riding because of the risk involved. Mine through the bank that i work for is higher just because I race dirtbikes, its not alot more, but it is a price hike.

The best thing you can do is just ask. You dont want to say you dont, then possibly get into an accident. If that were to happen, they would say that you lied on your application and not cover you.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about asking them? We don't know.

(edit)

Datech beat me to it...
Well, asking them may be a problem if they say no.

"Hey will I be denied if I say that I ride a motorcycle?"
"Yes...why?"
"No reason."
"hmmm...yeah we don't believe you now."

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

"Yes...why?"
"No reason."
Then you'll need to find different insurance or give up riding.
Yea, of anything you want to talk about doing on this forum, you DO NOT LIE TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Insurance companies have lots of money, and only care about making more money. They will spend money to sue a poor guy's ass to hell and back if they think it would make them a penny more than before.

Actual conversation:
"Yes."
"Thank you, I would like to cancel my policy and/or existing applications for insurance."
"Why?"
"I ride a motorcycle, and [competitor] does not penalize me for that choice. Please process my request."

Or you can go this route:
"Yes."
"Thank you, it was just a curiosity."
X-amount of time and one motorcycle wreck later:
"Hello AOWG, we're informing you that your coverage claim will be denied because your injury was incurred while riding a motorcycle. Per your signed policy, this was expressly forbidden. Thank you."
Now you owe $15,000 out of pocket.

·
Registered
273 Posts
exactly... Insurance companies try to find any way to get out of paying for something that happens to you. So you might as well come forward from the beginning and let them know. Either they will make you pay more, or will not cover you to begin with?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Closing the "HIPPA loophole*" was a hot item in the AMA's legislative agenda for the past few years, but I lost track of what happened to the proposed amendment in Washington, and whether the loophole was ever closed. Does anyone know?

* HIPPA made it illegal for employers to deny health insurance coverage for employees based on participation in lawful recreational activities (e.g., motorcycling, skiing, snowmobiling, sky diving), but a loophole in the law allowed insurers to still deny coverage based on the "source of the injury" (e.g., as the result of a motorcycling, skiing, snowmobiling, or sky diving accident).

AoW, what about calling the insurer anonymously, or under a false name (and from someone else's phone, if you're really paranoid) as a prospective customer, and asking them whatever questions you have about this?

If motorcycle-related injuries are going to be excluded, and you otherwise need this insurance, how about adding MedPay to your motorcycle insurance policy? That would close the gap, no?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Yea, of anything you want to talk about doing on this forum, you DO NOT LIE TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Insurance companies have lots of money, and only care about making more money. They will spend money to sue a poor guy's ass to hell and back if they think it would make them a penny more than before.

Actual conversation:
"Yes."
"Thank you, I would like to cancel my policy and/or existing applications for insurance."
"Why?"
"I ride a motorcycle, and [competitor] does not penalize me for that choice. Please process my request."

+1

either cancel or say you are going to a different competitor.

Don't lie, they already use any excuse not to try and not cover you so no reason to make it easy on them.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
How about asking them? We don't know.

(edit)

Datech beat me to it...

"Yes...why?"
"No reason."

What's your point? Stop being an idiot. We don't know the answer; only your insurer can tell you. You could always read your contract. What a concept, eh?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
For insurance that is provided to your entire company? It may be that they just want to gather information like that to determine the overall risk for your 'group' which then later on determines how high/low the premiums will be. If 75% of the policy holders in your group are motorcycle riding non-helmet wearing speed freaks, your premiums are probably going to be higher.

disclaimer: I know very little about the health insurancy industry but I did stay at a HI Express many years ago.

·
Registered
587 Posts
What's your point? Stop being an idiot. We don't know the answer; only your insurer can tell you. You could always read your contract. What a concept, eh?
If he wanted to withhold that information, it would look bad to ask about it. But the general consensus seems to be that he shouldn't lie to his insurance company. So, whether or not it looks suspicious won't apply.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts