Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i bought these recently on amazon. as of now, they working fine when i wear them with my helmet. i do not want to buy a blue tooth helmet and i dont want to go the moulds etc route , so for lazy A**** like me , this is a good buy i suppose

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-AS20J-Active-Headphones-Hangers/dp/B0015AHRFK[/ame]

·
Registered
85 Posts
They look kind of cool. I installed a set of helmet speakers a while back, and I really like them. If I were to go back to using headphones, those might be a good choice though. They look like they'd be solid.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Those do look good. I've been using the Iphone headphones(the ones that have the mic/volume controller built inline). They slide a little when I put the helmet on but most of the time are fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a HJC -c16 or some model, i tried all kinds a ear phones/head phones. compared to others i found that these slide very less and easy to adjust, after u put on ur helmet..

·
Registered
243 Posts
I rock a set of JVC Marshmallows. I wear a HJC CSR1 with no issues whatsoever.
+1 on the marshmallows. Danimal showed me the rubber adapters that he puts on them for an even better fit, but I haven't tried it yet. They can't be beat under $20.

·
Registered
996 Posts
+1 on the marshmallows. Danimal showed me the rubber adapters that he puts on them for an even better fit, but I haven't tried it yet. They can't be beat under $20.
+2, Marshmallows FTW!! I actually had one side crap out on me, after about 6-9 months of steady use(factory work, snowboarding and riding), so I removed it and now only ride with my left one in, its a really nice medium, I can still hear my exhaust/bike and still enjoy my music.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hehe, there was a similar thread a few months back and I recommended the Marshmallows and I seemed to be the only one that liked them there. I've tried several different headphones, and the Marshmallows have worked the best so far. I'm interested to hear about these rubber adapters--the regular foam tips do a pretty good job of noise isolation, but there's still certainly room for improvement.

Still, I think it's only a matter of time before I get a bluetooth speaker setup. Being able to stop/start my music easily is just one of many reasons why they're appealing to me. As I was leaving work today, I was waiting at a stoplight and an older guy on a Harley pulled up next to me and tried to chat. I said hi, but explained that I couldn't hear anything because of my headphones. He just had this slightly confused and dismayed look on his face. I felt like a dick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hehe, there was a similar thread a few months back and I recommended the Marshmallows and I seemed to be the only one that liked them there. I've tried several different headphones, and the Marshmallows have worked the best so far. I'm interested to hear about these rubber adapters--the regular foam tips do a pretty good job of noise isolation, but there's still certainly room for improvement.

Still, I think it's only a matter of time before I get a bluetooth speaker setup. Being able to stop/start my music easily is just one of many reasons why they're appealing to me. As I was leaving work today, I was waiting at a stoplight and an older guy on a Harley pulled up next to me and tried to chat. I said hi, but explained that I couldn't hear anything because of my headphones. He just had this slightly confused and dismayed look on his face. I felt like a dick.
Running the wired helmet speakers, I just reach behind my head and unplug the cable when I want to chat, and then plug it back in when its time to go. I used a couple sets of BT headphones for a while, but got a lot of interference/cutting out depending on where I had my phone. BT doesn't like helmets apparently.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts

I have been an advocate of JVC Marshmallows for a long time, but essentially I have quit trying to help others here with ideas on ANYTHING because it always seems to fall on deaf ears. I mean what do I know? I only ride 20,000 miles per year average, having now over 112,000 on my 2003 SV....my opinion means little compared to someone who KNOWS that those $200 in ear monitors are the way to go.

The Marshmallows changed recently, going to a more bulbous driver shape. This shape prevents me from inserting them upside down to allow a better seal deeper in the ear canal, as the original Marshmallows did (you can still find the originals on Ebay, they are JVC HA-FX34. The newer ones are JVC HAFR36B)
So I DID want the larger driver on the newer Marshmallows, but looked for a solution to the fit.
All of the high-end monitors use three tiered silicone flanges rather than the foamie tips the Marshmallows use...so I went shopping.

I found THESE on Ebay real cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260972953745

These fit the stem on the HAFR36B's perfectly, with the larger size fitting my ear canal well, and now I can leave them right side up and they fit DEEP (not too deep lol) and with NO discomfort. Be forwarned....these DO block more sounds than the foam tips...which I like :)

Hope that helps a few people in the end.

My audio system is a hard-wired audio output from three farkles (Zumo for MP3, Sirius Radio and radar detector) going into a mixer-amplifier and then I use ear buds. The amplifier has a remote volume knob mounted by my left grip.

I then run a Sena SMH10 BT unit in the helmet, but...I place the SMH10's speakers FORWARD in the ear pocket on my Shoei...the BT on my setup in only used to take and make phone calls...and the chat with a fellow rider. The SMh10's speakers can easily be heard over the ear-buds.

I have tried streaming BT stereo to my helmet direct, but the sound quality in NO WAY compares with the hard wired earbuds running fro the amplifier.

The amp I use BTW is <$100 and runs off the bike's power. Here is a link to the guy that makes them (called Amplirider)
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

This way I get the best of ALL worlds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never had any luck with any of the headphones I've tried. My RF1100 fits me pretty snug and everything I've tried ends up making my ears sore after 30-60 mins. My solution includes these 3 products:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E3-BK-E3-Headphone-Amp/dp/B001MPWMDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342026596&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+e3[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iEA15BLK-3rd-Party-Headphone-VoiceOver/dp/B002RL9WDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342026679&sr=1-1&keywords=ipod+control[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Motorcycle-Dual-Sided-Earphones-Control/dp/B007NN1CP4/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342026696&sr=1-6&keywords=helmet+speakers[/ame]

This works great for me. The sound is plenty loud up until about 60-70mph, at which point you can still hear the music but the wind noise starts to overpower it a bit. If I'm going under 50mph, I actually have to turn the speakers down to about 75% volume. I'm also able to skip and pause songs with the press of a button. I just wish the little ipod controller buttons were bigger but it does the trick and for $5 I can't really complain.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have been an advocate of JVC Marshmallows for a long time, but essentially I have quit trying to help others here with ideas on ANYTHING because it always seems to fall on deaf ears. I mean what do I know? I only ride 20,000 miles per year average, having now over 112,000 on my 2003 SV....my opinion means little compared to someone who KNOWS that those $200 in ear monitors are the way to go.

The Marshmallows changed recently, going to a more bulbous driver shape. This shape prevents me from inserting them upside down to allow a better seal deeper in the ear canal, as the original Marshmallows did (you can still find the originals on Ebay, they are JVC HA-FX34. The newer ones are JVC HAFR36B)
So I DID want the larger driver on the newer Marshmallows, but looked for a solution to the fit.
All of the high-end monitors use three tiered silicone flanges rather than the foamie tips the Marshmallows use...so I went shopping.

I found THESE on Ebay real cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260972953745

These fit the stem on the HAFR36B's perfectly, with the larger size fitting my ear canal well, and now I can leave them right side up and they fit DEEP (not too deep lol) and with NO discomfort. Be forwarned....these DO block more sounds than the foam tips...which I like :)

Hope that helps a few people in the end.

My audio system is a hard-wired audio output from three farkles (Zumo for MP3, Sirius Radio and radar detector) going into a mixer-amplifier and then I use ear buds. The amplifier has a remote volume knob mounted by my left grip.

I then run a Sena SMH10 BT unit in the helmet, but...I place the SMH10's speakers FORWARD in the ear pocket on my Shoei...the BT on my setup in only used to take and make phone calls...and the chat with a fellow rider. The SMh10's speakers can easily be heard over the ear-buds.

I have tried streaming BT stereo to my helmet direct, but the sound quality in NO WAY compares with the hard wired earbuds running fro the amplifier.

The amp I use BTW is <$100 and runs off the bike's power. Here is a link to the guy that makes them (called Amplirider)
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

This way I get the best of ALL worlds.
Very good info, thanks. I think I actually have the older version of the Marshmallows, do you know if those ebay tips fit on these as well?

Also good to know about the BT audio, I didn't know that the quality suffered. The Sena SMH10 is the unit I've had my eye on the most, primarily because it's supposed to have the best audio quality (it doesn't hurt that it's less expensive than its competitors either.) Have you tried a wired connection plugging into the jack? I really like the idea of wireless music, but if the quality is that much worse, I'd deal with a wire.

That amplifier setup does seem pretty cool, though I have to say that another big reason I want the helmet speakers is just for the convenience of not having to futz with headphones each time I put the helmet on. The Marshmallows have been the best I've tried as far as staying in place, but still, they can get dislodged. Probably the most annoying thing in dealing with headphones and helmets is feeling a headphone slip out while sliding the helmet down and having to start the process again, or even worse, not realizing it's loose until you're cruising down the highway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the [very] slight loss in audio quality with a wireless BT connection. As long as it's connected with the A2DP profile, you'll hardly even notice -- especially with the wind noise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got the Sena SMH10. Its pretty good. The speakers are very loud with phone conversations, not quite as loud with music. I eventually changed the base out so I could use noise isolating earbuds with the unit. I use an app called tune-in radio for my Droid Razr so that I can listen to my favorite radio stations through my headset. Check the reviews out on Revzilla.com if you're seriously considering the SMH10.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts