Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the workshop section, but didnt get any replies, so I thought I would try here.

I have an '05 S model that's been having some problems with the headlights. I know this question has been asked before, and I've dug through several threads talking about it, but this sounds like it might be something else, or perhaps I'm missing something. I thought I had this fixed twice already, but the problem keeps coming back.

No high or low beams, no high-beam indicator, no flash to pass. Turn signals work fine, instrument panel works fine (other than the high beam indicator). We have traced the wiring to the plug under the gas tank that connects the front harness and have checked ground on the wires and everything looks fine. Fuses check out OK and power at the switch looks good. I've checked continuity off the headlamps themselves, and have taken apart and cleaned the contacts on both the dimmer switch and the starter switch (which, btw, is a real PITA to put back together.) I've cleaned the contacts on the wiring connector with fine grit sandpaper and put a dab of dialectic grease (actually thermal compound, but exactly the same stuff) on each tab and made sure the connector was snug. The lights worked fine at my friends house and the ride home and to work this morning, but this afternoon, they crapped out again.

At this point I'm stumped. Is there an issue with the harness that is common to this year of bike? Is there a ground issue? Has anyone experienced this problem like this? Am I missing something?

I'm ready to bypass the whole harness and run a separate wire and relay just to give me confidence that the lights are going to work when I need them, but I'd like to see if someone has ever had this particular problem before.

Thanks very much for the help.

-Vitiare

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had the same problem on my 06 s. It's most likely you're starter button on the right side. I had to take my whole switch assembly apart and clean it up. I can explain details later if you need, but I'm on my phone. Next time it happens, try tapping the right hand controls lightly, with something hard, like a screwdriver.

·
Registered
534 Posts
OK, now that I'm home with a real keyboard, I'll give you a better description.

A couple months ago, I left my house around the time the sun was going down. To light outside to see my headlights, but dark enough to see that all my gauges were lit up. As I stopped behind a truck with a chrome bumper I noticed my headlights weren't on. So I turned around, got home and started pulling things apart.

I lifted the tank, pulled out airbox, started checking wires, and the whole nine yards, I assume about what you are doing now. I have a service manual with a wiring diagram, which helped out a ton. So after trying to find which wire in the plug went to headlights, and tracing out everything that controlled the headlights. I went up the diagram to where the headlights originally get power from.

The starter button has two wires, one is normally open, other is normally closed. The normally open circuit it the starter, when you push the button, the circuit is closed and the bike turns over. The other circuit is always on, and turns off when you are starting the bike, AKA headlights. (this all applies to when the key is on)

So, when the lights weren't on, I tapped the right side controls with the handle of a screwdriver, and the headlights flickered on. I ended up pulling the controls completely apart. This is pretty tedious, and mildly frustrating trying to get all the springs back in while re-assembling. The plastic button we all push to start the bike has 2 metal plates on it that make contact with some metal points inside the housing. There are a couple of springs which keep all of these parts in contact, and let them give some for when the button is pushed. In my case, those metal strips got caught, and were not being pushed fully out by the springs, not making good contact, and not letting the lights come on. I pulled all of this apart, cleaned everything up pretty good, got everything freed up, and my problem was fixed.

So, if you have the skills to do so, take the switch apart and get all of those pieces cleaned up and moving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this. Yeah, I've already taken the switch apart twice, so I feel like I have intimate knowledge of all of its springs and do-hickies. (you would think they could have come up with something a bit more simplified/ refined, but whatever). I've looked at the copper connections on the starter button and the corresponding contacts for the starter, but now, after reading your post, Im not so sure if its making a solid connection on the first spot (which would be the lights).

There are two springs inside this infernal little device. One is the spring that pushes the button back out after starting the engine, and the other (I believe) is the one that pushes the copper contacts against the copper contacts on the button. Its possible this may be my problem.

So when I go home this afternoon, I'll look at this switch one more time and see if I cant figure out what the deal is.

And seriously, who designed this thing? I mean, you have to hook the orange wires under the little plastic tab in the base of the housing, take a mini screwdriver to hold the spring down as you slide the button in, then place the hazard light lever at just the right position so that the orange wires fit in the little corner of the switch housing, in order to make it all fit together just right...SHEESH!

Thanks for this. You've given me hope!

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Ok, so I had an '05 S do the same thing. Turns out a wire grounded in the wire harness under the airbox, it was a royal mess. A friend found it, she's a motorcycle mechanic. We found the grounded wire, spliced it, put a separate plug on it on both sides of the main plug and hooked it up. Instant lights. You will need to prop the tank, or pull it off all together, remove the air box and look for a black connector (i think black) near the neck of the frame (near the steering stem). Look for a wire that looks like it's burnt in the connector, there are lots of wires so if you have a wiring diagram to find the color for the lights, start there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Glad I was able to help some. Even if it was just giving you hope.

Yeah, I pulled the thing apart twice cause I didn't quite get it the first time. Huge pita. I feel your pain.

I just realized you are in Austin, I'm only about 2 hours from you, down in College Station. There's some real nice riding in your area, I like to come over there and go to lake Travis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just realized you are in Austin, I'm only about 2 hours from you, down in College Station. There's some real nice riding in your area, I like to come over there and go to lake Travis.
Well if I can get the lights running, let's set up a time. I'll buy you an ice tea or something. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I had an '05 S do the same thing. Turns out a wire grounded in the wire harness under the airbox, it was a royal mess. A friend found it, she's a motorcycle mechanic. We found the grounded wire, spliced it, put a separate plug on it on both sides of the main plug and hooked it up. Instant lights. You will need to prop the tank, or pull it off all together, remove the air box and look for a black connector (i think black) near the neck of the frame (near the steering stem). Look for a wire that looks like it's burnt in the connector, there are lots of wires so if you have a wiring diagram to find the color for the lights, start there.

Hope this helps.
I've dug through all the wiring harnesses and all the connectors look good. No obvious shorts, no ground issue.

I tore apart the ignition switch and it looks like the copper contacts that are on the starter button are not making a solid connection with the copper strip that connects the circuit for the lights and the starter (at least that's what it looks like.) The copper strip on the starter button has a small spring that pushes it out and sits it against the connecting terminals. It looks like the strip doesnt always spring straight out, with would make sense that the lights dont work, but the bike still starts.

I bought a new (ish) starter switch on eBay and hopefully will have that in a few days. Then it should be a simple process of just swapping out the switch and hoping this fixes it.

In the meantime, I'll just ride during the day and focus on getting my rear shock replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts