Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 SV650S with HID low beams.

So, about two weeks ago, my bike was parked out in the rain while I was working. Nothing really out of the ordinary. My bike has been in the rain plenty of times. So, on my way home from work at night, all my lights are working.

The next morning when I start my bike, I check my lights and my low beams won't turn on. However, all other lights are working. This includes high beams, high beam indicator on the gauge, turn and side signals, pass light, emergency hazard lights, brake lights, etc.

For about two weeks, I have been reading around the forums and advices and messing around with my bike on my off time. However, this is my only means of transportation. So taking it apart and putting it back together was difficult due to time restraints.

I did some troubleshooting, which included checking the fuses and connectors under the front cowling. I checked the bulbs as well.

So, I'm using high beams this whole time since my lows are still not working. However, one night, my left high beam goes out. So now I only have my right high beam. All other lights previously mentioned are still working. I tried to see if it was a bulb issue. So I took my working right-side bulb and put it to my left side and it did not work. So I assumed it was not a bulb issue.

Fast forward to yesterday. It was pouring hard all day. And I couldn't get my bike in covered parking. That night on the ride home, my one right high beam is still working like it has for the past two weeks, along with previously mentioned other lights and indicators.

This morning, I turn my bike on, it's like deja vu all over again. My high beams stopped working.

I'm thinking something must have been exposed to rain and shorted a circuit somewhere since both my lows and highs went out after it rained on both events. And both were still working on the ride home after the rain respectively during both times. However, starting it again in the morning showed that they stopped working after these two separate rain days.

Thus, I currently have no lows and no highs. However, when I did only have my high beams, my pass light was working when I hit it. Now, that is not working either since my highs went out. However, everything else it still working, which includes turn and side signals, high beam indicator, hazards, tail lights and brake lights.

1. I checked the connector in front of the main harness under the front cowling. They don't seem to be burnt out.
2. I also checked the fuses and made sure there was still continuity on the high beam as well as the low beam fuse.
3. I took apart the starter switch assembly, cleaned it out a bit and still nothing.
4. I also messed with left side switch assembly as well.

I'm stumped as hell. And I really suck at using a multimeter to figure out where my power loss is. I'm almost about to give up and send it to the shop. But I'm hoping someone on here can share some advice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Start switch / ignition switch is the only circuit that cuts the headlights out from all other circuits.
Start there with your multimeter.

Find a copy of the electrical diagram and isolate the headlight circuit.

Some WD40 or other may assist.

·
Chief Greeter
28,336 Posts
HI SKky, I also have a headlight short that comes and goes and I ride with my highbeam. I added a bypass wire from my highbeam light - to a switch - to the battery as a quick fix for now haha.

That way I do not get stranded without a headlight. 07 naked SV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI SKky, I also have a headlight short that comes and goes and I ride with my highbeam. I added a bypass wire from my highbeam light - to a switch - to the battery as a quick fix for now haha.

That way I do not get stranded without a headlight. 07 naked SV.
I need some help ,start my bike up in the morning after the hard rain last night, both of my headlights are not working. 05 Kawasaki ninja zx6r.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts