Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while and this is my first real post.

I have an '05 S model that's been having some problems with the headlights. I know this question has been asked before, and I've seen several threads about it, but this sounds like it might be something else, or perhaps Im missing something. I thought I had this fixed twice already, but the problem keeps coming back.

No high or low beams, no high-beam indicator, no flash to pass. Turn signals work fine, instrument panel works fine (other than the high beam indicator). We have traced the wiring to the plug under the gas tank that connects the front harness and have checked ground on the wires and everything looks fine. Fuses check out OK and power at the switch looks good. I've checked continuity off the headlamps themselves, and have taken apart and cleaned the contacts on both the dimmer switch and the starter switch (which, btw, is a real PITA to put back together.) I've cleaned the contacts on the wiring connector with fine grit sandpaper and put a dab of dialectic grease (actually thermal compound, but exactly the same stuff) on each tab and made sure the connector was snug. The lights worked fine at my friends house and the ride home and to work this morning, but this afternoon, they crapped out again.

At this point I'm stumped. Is there an issue with the harness that is common to this year of bike? Is there a ground issue? Has anyone experienced this problem like this? Am I missing something?

I'm ready to bypass the whole harness and run a separate wire and relay just to give me confidence that the lights are going to work when I need them, but I'd like to see if someone has ever had this particular problem before.

Thanks very much for the help.

-Vitiare

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow sucks to hear all your problems. I've owned two '05s and had no real issues with the lights. It is known that the wire gauge used for the headlights is on the small side and many people have run a beefier gauge as you hinted at doing out of frustration. I might recommend doing that just to save you from any more troubleshooting and as a bonus you get brighter lights. Not sure if your searching brought you here but its worth a look if not. Good luck! Update us as to what you figure out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while and this is my first real post.

I have an '05 S model that's been having some problems with the headlights. I know this question has been asked before, and I've seen several threads about it, but this sounds like it might be something else, or perhaps Im missing something. I thought I had this fixed twice already, but the problem keeps coming back.

No high or low beams, no high-beam indicator, no flash to pass. Turn signals work fine, instrument panel works fine (other than the high beam indicator). We have traced the wiring to the plug under the gas tank that connects the front harness and have checked ground on the wires and everything looks fine. Fuses check out OK and power at the switch looks good. I've checked continuity off the headlamps themselves, and have taken apart and cleaned the contacts on both the dimmer switch and the starter switch (which, btw, is a real PITA to put back together.) I've cleaned the contacts on the wiring connector with fine grit sandpaper and put a dab of dialectic grease (actually thermal compound, but exactly the same stuff) on each tab and made sure the connector was snug. The lights worked fine at my friends house and the ride home and to work this morning, but this afternoon, they crapped out again.

At this point I'm stumped. Is there an issue with the harness that is common to this year of bike? Is there a ground issue? Has anyone experienced this problem like this? Am I missing something?

I'm ready to bypass the whole harness and run a separate wire and relay just to give me confidence that the lights are going to work when I need them, but I'd like to see if someone has ever had this particular problem before.

Thanks very much for the help.

-Vitiare
Did you eventually find the problem? How did you resolve. I think I am having the same issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow sucks to hear all your problems. I've owned two '05s and had no real issues with the lights. It is known that the wire gauge used for the headlights is on the small side and many people have run a beefier gauge as you hinted at doing out of frustration. I might recommend doing that just to save you from any more troubleshooting and as a bonus you get brighter lights. Not sure if your searching brought you here but its worth a look if not. Good luck! Update us as to what you figure out.
never had an issue with mine either.....i guess i can see where people might run a beefier gauge cuz my lights will bright/dim with throttle just a little bit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts