Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my headlight sucks, and i'm trying to replace my lamp with something brighter. I was thinking the Sylvania silverstars as a couple people have posted but I would like to know if anyone has had any good experiences with PIAA. At the place where I work we sell the top lamp of this list but I might be able to order the lowest one. Anyone know if he bottom light is really that bright? :
http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html
ps it is H4 that goes in a 2001 sv650s right?

also does anyone know of any HID kits for an 01 svs?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I'm using Silverstars, and I'm pretty happy. Way better than stock, and IMO a good bit better than Philips Ultravision.

The HID setups are extremely bright, but also ver inefficient- HID reflectors are totally different to normal bulbs, so instead of a nice beam you get bright and dark spots, and if you're not careful some serious glare. Blinding oncoming traffic is not a good move ;) Plus if you manage to do it to a cop, they'll not be amused. That's assuming you use the Ebay kits and just wedge the HID capsule into your stock lights.

But, there's better ways to do it. You can buy a non-UK euro headlight, they have a projector lamp on one side which will work better with a HID setup. With HID, you want the lowest temperature you can find- IIRC 3600K is the best light for actually seeing by. really hot ones, like the 12K kits the ricer shops sell, look cool but don't give as effective a light- lower is closer to daylight.

Or, you could find a suitable projector unit from a car (or an aftermarket unit, like Hella do) and fit that inside your stock light. Hassle...

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I've tried Silverstars and XtraVisions. I find the Sylvania XtraVision to be the better bulb. PIAAs are great also, but you can pick up XtraVisions at the local Wal or K-Mart.

I often ride an interstate where there is no lighting. I find the XtraVision is fine, good enough reach for me to be comfortable at 80 MPH. Good color, much better 3D visibility than bluer bulbs.

Also, remember to adjust your headlight precisely. That helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
will 55W/110W PIAA H7 bulbs work and fit ok? I'm pretty dissapointed in the stock kit, definetly want to upgrade lights, was wondering if the running light can be changed for a white bulb too...might look silly running 2 white lights and a yellow one.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Putting seriously powerful bulbs in a headlight not built for it is a good way to damage the lens and wiring... Some people have done it and been fine, some have done it and caused a fire...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts