Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my bulbs a few times (switching back and forth between LEDs and halogen) the previously hard to remove headlight connector is now very easy to remove and has a loose contact. When riding, my bulb now turns off sometimes and I have to hit the front of the glass to make it turn on again. Quite entertaining when you're on the highway at night.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
If you can get the terminals out of the connector you can just squeeze them shut a bit to restore their grip.

I don't know exactly the steps but if you look at the back of the connector housing where the wires go into it, look inside each hole and you should see a little tab blocking you from just pulling out the terminal. Get a small screwdriver or paper clip and pry the tab clear of the terminal to remove it.

I recommend only removing and repairing one terminal at a time so you don't wind up confused where they go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Usually you just need a tiny flathead to get the connector out, then squeeze it a little like they said. BEFORE you put it back, connect it to headlight to verify it's tight enough. Then put it back

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,159 Posts
I am guessing the connector tangs on the LED vs the Halogen bulbs are different thickness forcing the harness plug sockets to widen.

That would explain why the plug was hard to remove then easy to remove and also explain how the plug got loose plug in the first place. A loose headlight plug is not a common problem on the SV.

If the above is true then need to stick with one bulb type or the other to prevent the problem form happening again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am guessing the connector tangs on the LED vs the Halogen bulbs are different thickness forcing the harness plug sockets to widen.
Your hunch is correct. I was trying to tighten the connector plates yesterday and noticed that the prongs of the LED light where much thinner than the ones of the halogen bulb.

I didn't have much success in tightening the connectors a lot. Just enough so the halogen bulb now works without interruption.

The LED light is still very loose. It has a pretty shoddy light beam as well, so I don't think I'll use it anyways (another $23 wasted).
I used to have an ADV Monster H4 R3 LED which was phantastic ($50) but it got stolen and is out of stock now. I may eventually go for this solution, a full LED housing:
http://instagr.am/p/B9WUAO2nUAs/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts