Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at replacing headlight bulbs.
I dont want to go HID but i want want the light to appear blue similar to HID's
Just want a drop in replacement for the bulb.
Ive searched and cant come up with a decent answer.

what am i looking for?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bought a pair of Silverstar ZXE for mine, bit pricey, but they are nice. It is a much whiter light than stock. Enough that I had to change out my marker lights for LED's cause the stock looked yellow.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'll vouche for ddmtuning any day.. I've had several vehicles including my bike that had their kits, and any of of my friends that want HIDs I tell them that's the way to go.

On that note, expect some complaints when you go "blue." it's a love hate situation. My advice is go with 4k and MOST of 6k (even still a bit blue for my taste)

·
Registered
546 Posts
You CAN NOT use a HID kit with the stock housing on most bikes/ cars! Any headlight housing that is reflective/ mirrored (like the SV) will scatter the output and blind oncoming traffic... And is illegal if done like this. The only way around it is to paint the housing and I'm sure that's more than you're looking to do.

What you want are Silverstars or Hella Xenon H4's. Their life expectancy is significantly lower (mine average one year) but the output is worth it (Silverstar's are anyway).

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
You CAN, but as you say, it might be illegal, and it might cause discomfort to oncoming traffic. If you do go this route, make sure to properly re-aim your headlight to help with the glare.

There ARE vehicles with factory HIDs without projectors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had bought some cheap Pepboys special "super white" bulbs and didnt think they were bright enough so I purchased the ZXE bulbs for 3 times the price and there was not much difference that i see between the $10.00 bulbs and the $60.00 bulbs.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Looking at replacing headlight bulbs.
I dont want to go HID but i want want the light to appear blue similar to HID's
Just want a drop in replacement for the bulb.
Ive searched and cant come up with a decent answer.

what am i looking for?
Well, By your description, these may be what your looking for. I have these bulbs in my 2nd gen and they're bluer and brighter than the dim yellowish stock bulbs. At this price you really can't go wrong. :)

H4 9003 HB2 60/55W = 100/90W Bright

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportline-8...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d33fa62b0#ht_3114wt_775

I also use these for the parking light bulbs. They're also brighter than the stock bulbs. These are bright white.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-T10-168...es&hash=item2572a2e757&vxp=mtr#ht_5689wt_1006

These bulbs can be put in 180 degrees wrong. If it doesn't turn on then remove the bulb and flip it around, then reinsert it. Ask me how I know this. LOL

You might see these in blue advertised also, but try to stay away from using the small blue parking bulbs as it would not be legal. The cops don't like to see these as you might be mistaken for a cop bike with the bright blue bulbs. :eek: Again, ask me how I know this. ;D

·
Registered
546 Posts
You CAN, but as you say, it might be illegal, and it might cause discomfort to oncoming traffic. If you do go this route, make sure to properly re-aim your headlight to help with the glare.

There ARE vehicles with factory HIDs without projectors.
There are, BUT the housing units are auto-leveling, factory designed for it, and have a build-in bulb shield for scatter compensation. Subarus, Infinity G35's, Lincon's, Caddy's, and Acura TL's all have this HID w/ no projector combo, but because of the OEM design, they pass inspections because the light is distributed properly.

A projector retrofit is the only way to go. Ive done it for every car I've owned.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
^yep. I have the eastern beaver relay kit and osram night breakers. Bright white with a just a hint of blue. Much better than stock IMO

·
Registered
65 Posts
got the silverstar 55/60 watt bulbs today, def a noticable difference. i can see no problem with my tinted shield on at night, which was very difficult before. paid $34 for them on sale at advanced auto fwiw.

·
Registered
546 Posts
got the silverstar 55/60 watt bulbs today, def a noticable difference. i can see no problem with my tinted shield on at night, which was very difficult before. paid $34 for them on sale at advanced auto fwiw.

You should probably buy a clear shield anyway... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts