Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
You received the correct answer early on in this thread...Osram Nitebreakers. Easily available on Ebay, last 3/4 as long as stockers (carry spares) and offer noticebly improved punch over stock (or any others I have tried, which is most of the available H4's)
As far as their legality...cmon... do you really think anyone would care? With the number of blindingly bright HID retro kits going around burning retinas, a bright Halogen is tame by comparison.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
As far as their legality...cmon... do you really think anyone would care? With the number of blindingly bright HID retro kits going around burning retinas, a bright Halogen is tame by comparison.

with all the crackdowns on loud pipes, inspection stations are getting anal about everything, and the motor vehicle inspectors don't stop there inspections with a decible meter at the tailpipe

I can't tell you how many countless times I have seen riders get caught with questionable turn signals, license plate location, non DOT lighting, etc

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
with all the crackdowns on loud pipes, inspection stations are getting anal about everything, and the motor vehicle inspectors don't stop there inspections with a decible meter at the tailpipe

I can't tell you how many countless times I have seen riders get caught with questionable turn signals, license plate location, non DOT lighting, etc
That's all well and good Randy, but I would never expect someone to dismantle my headlight to remove the bulb and even then...I don't think Osram marks the base with any type of wattage numbers, etc.

Let's face it...the reflector on either SV works like **** with a HID bi-X bulb retro fitted. It may throw usable light for the pilot (outside of blinding yourself on signs) but scatters so much that it is blinding to an oncoming vehicle.
Members here who have done a proper fitting of real projectors are few and far between by comparison.

Aside from a better halogen bulb, I really did notice a big difference when I installed the Eastern Beaver headlight harness/relays. That and the Osrams is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
^ FWIW, the Osrams we pulled out of the family car had clear labelling on the base... those were H7's tho

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I think properly set up HID's within DOT regulations are ok. In fact, they offer a nice light. My girl got them on her Acura TL. It comes stock. Very nice. I have also seen them in a few bikes and they are pretty good.

The problem with HID is that a lot of people just get the brightest thing they can find and slap it in. Often times, that just too bright.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I think properly set up HID's within DOT regulations are ok. In fact, they offer a nice light. My girl got them on her Acura TL. It comes stock. Very nice. I have also seen them in a few bikes and they are pretty good.

The problem with HID is that a lot of people just get the brightest thing they can find and slap it in. Often times, that just too bright.
no...the problem is folks putting just the HID bulb into the stock reflector lens. headlight reflectors built for a halogen bulb do not focus the HID beam well at all.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
^ FWIW, the Osrams we pulled out of the family car had clear labelling on the base... those were H7's tho

doesn't really matter what's labled where it they have a meter and it doesn't meet specs

won't be long before bikes are inspected like cars, online thru the obdII, say goodbye to customized fuel maps

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Just did the HID swap in and it is SUCh a dramatic change. Highly recommend it.

Although, I have NO clue how to set up the hi beams since the wires are abnormally short :/ I suppose I could just splice it and add in wires but I don't really wanna do that..

·
Registered
103 Posts
what do you think about ordering two of the HI/LO kits they have? Since the SVS has two hi/lo bulb i think you would be able to keep all the functionality of the hi/lo switch

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just did the HID swap in and it is SUCh a dramatic change. Highly recommend it.

Although, I have NO clue how to set up the hi beams since the wires are abnormally short :/ I suppose I could just splice it and add in wires but I don't really wanna do that..
:needpics:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
doesn't really matter what's labled where it they have a meter and it doesn't meet specs

won't be long before bikes are inspected like cars, online thru the obdII, say goodbye to customized fuel maps
OBD2 + Moto? since when?

·
Registered
293 Posts

why? people still run custom tunes on cars all the time, you just have to reflash the PCM before an inspection

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
OBD2 + Moto? since when?
only a matter of time, its on some bikes already

you guys may think its a joke, but I don't when homeland security is seizing gray imports as contraband

and you won't even have to wait fer inspection time, I've seen some pretty sophisiticated test equipment at roadside inspections

41 - 60 of 70 Posts