Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you use? high intensity? hid? different wattage? stock? and why did you change? better, brighter, bling??? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
PIAA intense white bulbs. Cuz its easy and definitely better than stock, also cheaper than converting to HID'S

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
H4 halogens. They are a simple plug-in replacement for the stock bulb. I like the OSRAM Nightbreaker Plus. Search online and you'll see that other than an HID conversion, the Nightbreakers or the Philips X-Treme Vision are the way to go.

The OSRAMs are Euro-only (the equivalent US model is branded Sylvania but isn't as good), but you can get them (or the Philips) from Powerbulbs in the UK. They ship worldwide for free and their prices are good.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/

jbswear, why are you going cheap on your lighting? The H4 halogens are cheap enough, and they greatly improve your vision and visibility. After putting one in (and properly aiming your headlight), you may even decide you don't need an HID conversion. The OSRAMs are two for $39. Split the pack with a friend, and your cost is $18. Okay, it's not a free mod, but, 'cmon. It's eighteen freakin' dollars....

·
Registered
397 Posts
what do you use? high intensity? hid? different wattage? stock? and why did you change? better, brighter, bling??? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Sylvanis silver stars. Wired the headlight directly from the battery controlled with a relay driven by the stock headlight switch. Also wired so when the high beam comes on the low beam stays lit. Awsome on dark roads.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
^^^ Forgot about that. If you wire in a relay, you can get more current to the bulb, and a brighter light. I just haven't gotten around to doing it, yet.

db, does having both the high and low beams on simultaneously overheat the housing? Do you have a link or a wiring diagram for what you did?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks HID lights are rude to other drivers? They are blinding from cars coming the other direction. My neighbor has them on his truck and I cannot stand having him drive behind me because they are so blinding.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks HID lights are rude to other drivers? They are blinding from cars coming the other direction. My neighbor has them on his truck and I cannot stand having him drive behind me because they are so blinding.
Your neighboor does not have his aimed properly or his reflectors are not compatable w/ HId bulbs..or he's running 55w bulbs.

I have 35w HID's in my Sv & i never get flashed by oncoming cars, cause i took the time to make sure they weren't blinding oncoming motorisits when i installed em.

They are SOO much safer than incadesents from the riders standpoint.
I ride on dark roads in the middle of nowhere on occasion & that was unsafe to do w/ the stock bulbs, as their we're huge blind spots while leaned over in turns.
& during daylight hrs. other motorist's can see you quicker too.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Your neighboor does not have his aimed properly or his reflectors are not compatable w/ HId bulbs..or he's running 55w bulbs.

I have 35w HID's in my Sv & i never get flashed by oncoming cars, cause i took the time to make sure they weren't blinding oncoming motorisits when i installed em.

They are SOO much safer than incadesents from the riders standpoint.
I ride on dark roads in the middle of nowhere on occasion & that was unsafe to do w/ the stock bulbs, as their we're huge blind spots while leaned over in turns.
& during daylight hrs. other motorist's can see you quicker too.
That very much might be the case. I just know I get irritated every time I see a car pass with HID's because I am going to be temporarily blinded. Maybe most people just do not know how to aim them properly or have the higher watt bulbs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^^^ Forgot about that. If you wire in a relay, you can get more current to the bulb, and a brighter light. I just haven't gotten around to doing it, yet.

db, does having both the high and low beams on simultaneously overheat the housing? Do you have a link or a wiring diagram for what you did?
It's not current but voltage that increases when you wire directly thru a relay. Basically what I did was to come off the battery, through a 15 amp fuse to two 12 volt relays directly to the bulb with 14 Gage wire. Then I took the wires that come from the head light switch That went to the bulb and extended them back to the relays for the control circuit . So in effect if the Voltage was coming out of the headlight switch it would pull in the relay and turn the light on. Then I took the control circuit power for the high beam side thru a toggle switch and a diode and connected it to the low beam side so that if the high beam relay was energized the low beam relay would be to if the switch was closed. I ride around in the daytime with them both on and have not had any problems melting anything. It's quite bright. This is on my first gen.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
jbswear, why are you going cheap on your lighting? The H4 halogens are cheap enough, and they greatly improve your vision and visibility. After putting one in (and properly aiming your headlight), you may even decide you don't need an HID conversion. The OSRAMs are two for $39. Split the pack with a friend, and your cost is $18. Okay, it's not a free mod, but, 'cmon. It's eighteen freakin' dollars....

Because I rarely ride at night, so the extra lighting isn't a bother for me.

I'm going to put in the HID set up because I think it looks cool, it draws much less power, and it lights up better. I think it looks cool because it resembles a boob. Yeah, so I think like a 14 year old...

(edit)

Something like this. I'll put one on the SV and one on the Harley.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?productId=p212046

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
No, you're not the only one.

I really hope they start pushing tickets for these people.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Philips MotoVision

I think they're great. If you're looking directly at the beam, it has a slight orange hue but the beam is pure white. It really separates you from the cagers. Longer and wider beam, 40% brighter...
+1 on the MotoVisions. I have them in my VFR but haven't swapped the SV yet.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It's not current but voltage that increases when you wire directly thru a relay.
That is an incorrect statement. The voltage is the same throughout the system. Increasing the wire gauge allows more current flow.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
It's not current but voltage that increases when you wire directly thru a relay.
That is an incorrect statement. The voltage is the same throughout the system. Increasing the wire gauge allows more current flow.

Basically it works like this: Thin wires can only carry a low amperage. Thicker wires can carry more (generally speaking). They both "carry" 12V. The thin wires hook up to a switch inside the relay. When they're energized (turned "on"), they close the switch. The switch connects thicker wire. This thicker wire can carry the heavier amp load that the device they're powering demands. It is connected directly to the power source on one end, and the device on the other.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Over the years, I've been pretty happy with both the Osram Nightbreakers and the Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs in my cars, and I currently have a Phillips X-Treme Power in my SV. I find it hard to distinguish much difference between these two bulbs, honestly. Those MotoVisions look pretty cool though, may have to check them out.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
+100 on the phillips xTreme vision. Picked them up for my explorer and i can actually see at night again!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I installed a combo relay/headlight modulator from Comagination. Wires all included, just run the wires from the unit to the battery, connect the unit to the headlight and connect the old headlight connector to the unit. The unit fits inside the SV650 headlight housing or inside the fairing if you don't have the nekkid bike. Not the cheapest thing around, but I find the modulator reduces the chance of anyone pulling out in front of me by making my bike more conspicuous and the headlight runs brighter thanks to the relay providing a direct connection to the battery.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts