Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my stock 05 single headlight bulb. From what I've read so far it seems the Sylvania Silverstars are popular. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Yes, but also look into doing a relay mod to help get the full potential out of your headlight.

Alternatively, you can do BoRkA's projector HID retrofit or just an HID kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do I find a relay for that?

Also, I was planning on putting a Buell lightning dual headlight assembly on the bike in the near future but heard going to HID's is not as easy as just installing the headlight. There is more involved right?

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Some HID kits are plug and play, no wiring needed. Mine required some wiring. It's a little confusing at first, but I've installed several HID kits that wire up the same way and it's easy to me now. There's plenty of how-tos floating around the internet.

However, some people HATE HIDs that aren't in projector lenses to control the glare. BoRkA makes a very nice kit that fits right inside the stock headlight.

Any 30A automotive relay would do just fine for the headlight relay mod, but it requires just about as much wiring as an HID kit.

If you're going to be replacing the headlights in the future, I'd suggest leaving it all alone for now. If you do the Buell dual lamp setup, you're going to need all new bulbs anyway, so why drop $20 on a silverstar bulb that you won't be able to use in the near future?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the response. I'll look into that Borka set-up first and go from there. I went ahead and just bit the bullet and purchased a silverstar bulb for the time being since I really needed something brighter for my morning commute.

Hey on another note....how about tires....any suggestions? I'm about due. I had a guy that works next door to me give me a set of almost new Dunlop D220 sportmax tires, but the reviews I read were'nt very reassuring. He said they were on his wifes SV650, but she didn't like them. What do you think?

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
What's the date code on them?

The frugal part of me says try them and if you don't like them then you can make a decision, but the emotional part of me says get new rubber you can be confident in.

I really enjoy my Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires. I have over 11,000 miles on this set and they are maybe half worn.

It really depends on what kind of riding you do and what you're trying to get out of your tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry....I didn'y know tires had a date code....where do I find that?

I commute to work about 25 miles each way. The first half is a semi windy canyon, the other just city streets.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
On the tire sidewall will be the letters DOT followed by several numbers. At the end of those numbers will be four digits, usually in their own separate oval. The first two numbers indicate the week of the year, and the last two indicate the year.

For example, if you find a number like, 4304, then you know the tire was made in the 43rd week of 2004. Most riders are uncomfortable using tires more than 5 or 6 years old.

For a mix of sporty handling and tire longevity, try a sport-touring tire like the Pilot Road 2 or 3, or the Pirelli Angel ST.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so for the front I have a (9ABM2304) and the rear (9JBM2104). So these are 9 year old tires?

I think I'll stay on the safe side and try some pilot road 2's and see what kind of mileage I get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts