Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a weird error when I turn my bike on. I turn the key and my front and rear hazards turn on. I checked all my fuses and they seem good. opened my LHS instrument cluster to verify that it wasnt any debris bridging the contacts in there. Not sure where to go from here. multimeter time? verify that my hazard switch is stuck in the always on position? or is there another simpler reason why my hazards go on and stay on (hazard button doesnt do anything) ?

·
Super Moderator
9,149 Posts
Hi bottlerocketdodger,
The hazard lights on the SV650 are activated by a very simple circuit. A Light Blue Wire (Lbl) comes from the flasher relay and goes up to the hazard switch on the right hand side of the handlebar.

When you hit the hazard switch, this (Lbl) wire gets connected to BOTH a Black Wire (B) and a Light Green Wire (Lg). These two wires power the Left and Right turn signals respectively.

Your problem is most likely a shorted hazard switch. A foolproof check of this switch is to simply disconnect the Right Hand Handlebar Switch from the main wiring harness. If the flashers stop, then the switch is your problem.

If you don't feel like lifting the gas tank to get to this connector, then you can use your trusty multimeter to ohm out the connections directly at the handlebar switch.

Good luck!
TeeRiver

·
Super Moderator
9,149 Posts
Hi BRD,
From your reply to this post, http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=97420 , it seems as though you just changed your turn signals before the problem appeared. I didn't know that.

Based on this new info, I would say it's very UN-likely that you hazard switch is shorted.

It's hard to short out the hazard switch, but easy to make a simple wiring error. Your new turn signals probably did not fry your hazard switch, as the signal fuse would have blown long before damage could have been done.

Please be sure to ohm out the hazard switch before you buy a new one. Dealers do not allow returns on electrical parts for any reason.

Cheers!
-TeeRiver

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, i know this thread is a little old, but i just ran into the same problem, woke up to go to work. turned the bike on and my flashers are stuck on...im not very good with electrical stuff but willing to work it out... It had snowed pretty hard the night before and got pretty cold, but my bike was covered and in a car-port...idk what might have caused this...the crazy cold??? any ideas of how to fix this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread--but I figured it could help others in the future....

I just picked up an '08 SV650 today. Once it got dark, I wanted to see how bright the LED turn signals were. I turned on the hazard lights, checked out the signals, and then went to shut them off. I turned the switch off, but they stayed on. I tried moving the switch back and forth, cycling the key, starting it, etc. but they wouldn't shut off. I started searching for a similar problem online, but couldn't find much besides this thread.

I took the RH controls apart and looked at the hazard switch. It turns out the little lever on the actual knob was sliding on top of the white, internal electrical switch for the hazard lights. I bent the little lever down a bit and then flattened the round piece that pivots in the white internal switch so it stays seated nicely. I tested it and it worked so I put everything back together and it is fixed now.

To take the RH controls apart, you just undo the two #2 Phillips-head bolts on the bottom of the assembly and it splits in half. There are two wires that connect the two halves which is for the kill switch. I also had to loosen the throttle cable assembly to be able to get the top half off of the bar. When reassembling, make sure the little dowel on the top half of the RH controls goes into the hole in the bars.

Hope this makes sense for anyone that searches for this some time in the future if they have the same problem.... If not, it will be perfectly clear once you start taking it apart.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Related experience:
after putting in brighter bulbs, my hazard flashers and turn signals wouldn't come on!
When I flipped the hazard switch, nothing happened. The relay couldn't handle the increase in wattage.

When I checked the signals, I had left the hazard switch on, so they wouldn't work either. :sbmfacepalm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts