Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I am in the process of pulling off my M4 full system and replacing it with a stock system (well, different cans). I bought some stock headers off of Ebay, seems like all the years match and nothing is bent or seems off to the naked eye. When trying to seat the 'main' part by pushing it up and onto the little rear cylinder pigtail header, it's really not wanting to line up with the two frame mounts on the bike. I can force it to line up with the right side mount but then the left side mount is still about 5-7mm off. Is there a trick to lining this up, like there's some orientation I should start from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the little flexible coupling that sits between the junctions wasn't in great shape and I ended up smooshing it even more which can't help fitment. I'll order a new one and then try again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,757 Posts
Hopefully the Ebay seller didn't send you the pipes for a 2003 SV1KS which is/are different than all the rest by about the amount you're seeing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,697 Posts
Yea, just like with the 650, the 2003 models are slightly different than the rest of the 2nd gen models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parts lookup seems to infer that the headers are the same across all models SV1k, though with an update (part 14210-16G40 for the 2003, but superseded by 14210-16G60) but that should fit on all models SV1k. Well here's hoping anyway! The ebay auction says it was removed from a 2005 at least. Coupling on the way, hopefully here next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was mostly right. New coupling got here and just would not fit in the opening on the rear connection of the header, so I had to smash it a little to fit in there. And then I simply could not muscle the headers up onto the pigtail. I tried later to remove the coupler and then the pieces fit together with some effort, both mounts lining up fine. So I think the coupler works okay when you have brand new headers probably, but used headers have been exposed to heat and pressure from the clamp being tightened - this is probably why all the aftermarket exhausts I have seen simply do not use this kind of OEM gasket. So I bolted everything else up (tip: for the can hangers, undo the passenger peg bolts to the subrame so they move around a lot so you can fit the hangers first, then tighten the passenger pegs last) and it all works. There is a little bit of exhaust escaping the rear junction, and the new cans don't have crush gaskets so there's a tiny amount of air coming out of there, so in the future I'll get the gaskets for the cans, and drop the headers again so I can coat the connection in red Permatex as a liquid gasket which I've done successfully in the past.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top