Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Have you ever been on a motorcycle, on the street and without a helmet?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple poll, yes or no. Have you ever ridden on the street without a helmet... EVER. This isn't a "well, this one time, but it doesn't count," type of poll, nor is it a, "I haven't in a long time, so no," type of poll.

If you have ever, in your entire time riding - licenced, non or even just a passenger - been on the road, on a motorcycle and without a helmet, then you must answer, "yes."

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never even owned a helmet when I was riding my dirtbike growing up, and I used to ride it on the street almost daily. Guess that makes me a 'Yes'.
My dad used to put me on the gas tank of his late '60s Honda CL350 and do wheelies up and down the street... no helmets.

When I started riding on the street, about 9 years ago, I had a brain bowl. In OH there was no helmet law, so I'd go without a lot.

Never been without it since I've had the SV. I have ridden around the apt complex's lot with no helmet, shorts and flip-flops to take the bike for a washing.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Yes. I did it quite frequently when I first started riding. One day, I went down while wearing a helmet. I saw the damage to the helmet and had an epiphany. That was in 1983. Haven't been on a bike without one since.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I can honestly say, that ever since I got my Class M (20 years ago!!) and started riding street bikes, I have never ridden w/o a lid. Maybe I'm getting smarter? ;)

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Early on I did now and then. The last time I did it was awhile ago, it gives me a headache without wearing one.

I'm not the most worried about crashing, I'm more worried about debris or bugs hitting me in the face and wrecking concentration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I once rented a Harley Electra Glide in Vegas for some touring. I stopped and put the helmet in the "trunk" and forgot all about it when I started riding again. You are so sheltered from the wind that I didn't even notice it until the guy I was with started pointing at his head and telling me to pull over. It was probably only a few blocks.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
yep. campus on gameday, around the apt complex, sometimes on the pitbikes, to the corner for gas, etc.

and yes, i have wrecked and i saw what the ground did to my helmet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
sure. short trips. i can't do anything more than a mile or 25 mph. My eyes gush water. Even with just glasses on. I'm honestly more comfortable riding with one than without.

·
Registered
414 Posts
yeah around the block and such while troubleshooting or trying a friends bike. Never "gone for a ride" without a lid though.
Same here, short around the block trips a coupla times. I can't stand to even had the visor up over 25 or so.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If i'm outside working on adjusting something on my bike i'll ride up and down the street to see what the adjustments feel like w/o a helmet just b/c I don't wanna go inside and get it. I've never ridden a dirtbike w/o a helmet and I've never been on a highway or major road w/o a helmet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm retarded about safety so I've never ridden without one. In BC it's illegal to ride a pedal bike without a helmet, so it's just an extension of that. I never rode a pedal bike sans dome, why would I ride a motorized one without one?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts