Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... I have been wanting to create a journal of SV related stuff for about a year now but couldn't decide how I wanted to do it. So, I have thought it out a bit and decided I might try to create an online publication that could be read online with browser or printed for offline reading. Ideally, I will probably be looking for submissions for articles and stories from riders/owners and pics plus I will be adding my own entries as well. Had thought it might contain even a section of tips n tricks that are SV specific and maybe some part, accessory and gear reviews. It will be quarterly to allow time to gather resources for each issue and for development. May even do some interviews with different SV racers/riders.

This will take a good bit of time to put together so before I start... I just wanted to see what the opinions of the crowd here was and I will check the SoCal boards too. Remember, it will always be free for reading, downloading etc. Free is good right? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to step on your idea but it sounds like the material you're after could be posted up right here in Articles and Archives on the SVrider homepage. If you want to do it on your own I'm sure most folks here (including me) would check it out on a regular basis, however.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes... you are right that most could be posted here but... my idea is to create something that is a little more like a magazine and less like a collection of ideas and submissions though... meaning the articles would be a little more organized, edited and such. It would read like many of today's bike magazines more than an internet resource site. This is no way an attempt to pull visiotrs from here or other SV sites (because I support these sites too)  but maybe as an additional resource for those looking for a good read beyond forums and based on the SV both 1000 and 650.  ;)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i would read the material and i think most other people here would too.

i think the biggest obstacle that you would face is finding people to write enough articles to keep the publication going. it's hard work generating material on a consistent basis, month after month. a lot of people will probably volunteer to write articles in the beginning, but enthusiasm tends to wane over the months as it transistions from something new and exciting to an obligation.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ridesideways said:
i would read the material and i think most other people here would too.

i think the biggest obstacle that you would face is finding people to write enough articles to keep the publication going.  it's hard work generating material on a consistent basis, month after month.  a lot of people will probably volunteer to write articles in the beginning, but enthusiasm tends to wane over the months as it transistions from something new and exciting to an obligation.
yeah... I considered that and that is why I was thinking of quarterly publishing or maybe bi-annual

I thought it would be cool to add the latest happenings and such from all the SV sites with listing of events and such... I am one of those people that likes to read anything that is more than a paragraph or two on hard copy rather than computer screen so the idea of printable pdf version came to mind so people could print it out and read away from the computer whenever a person feels like it... like on the thone in the bathroom ;D

·
Registered
198 Posts
syntheticton said:
... pdf version came to mind so people could print it out and read away from the computer whenever a person feels like it... like on the thone in the bathroom ;D
What, I thought that's what laptops and wireless are for. ;D

·
Registered
430 Posts
my first thought was that is svrider.com but the more you explained it I think I get it. I would read it. many people on here are very informed sv owners so it might be hard to write articles that have any new info in them.

What would interest me is a few issues on racing an sv. Most of us are informed about sv's and only dream of racing so I think that would be way cool to read about. I personally like to read about racing and REALLY like reading about normal peoples racing experiences as opposed to pros.

there have been some great discussions in the race forum that could be expanded on to fill an entire magazine.

I would like to see an issue about touring on an sv. trip stories, tricks for getting your bike in tour mode, tips for life on the road etc.

regional roads and trips you could do explained in detail with road names etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
hey cool idea. I think there are enough varied interests within the SV scene to keep it going. I use SV Rider .com primarily for the forum as it seems the articles on the main page are few and far between. I'd like to see more trip reports with pics. To me those are the best.

I'd be willing to pipe up with an article or two. First article comes to mind regarding aluminum polishing which I've just recently mastered.

Get a bunch of guys to chime in with their areas of knowledge and it would be solid.

A photo index where a person could look for a specific product and voila, there's a submitted pic of "it" on an SV would be cool too.

Good Luck and let us know what you need help with.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the ideas guys... I might able to pull something together for this in next few months. For those that offered help... much appreciated and will keep you in mind when I start putting it together ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts