Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a low mileage XB9R for sale at a reasonable price and was thinking about selling my svs and getting it. I do mostly short commuting and twisty backroad riding on my SVS. Any input?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
why not get a new / newer SV....

Y

·
0 Posts
Might not be the best bike for commuting.... but what are your major wants in a bike, and how long is your commute, do you have the money for the Buell? I have done my fair share of time on an XB-12R, I just need more details and I will give it to you straight.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about the Buell because I've always been interested in the technology that is behind them. I also like weird bikes. My commute is only a few blocks every day. I do ride my bike everyday as main mode of transportation. I ride with a very skilled group of riders (I am the lowest common denominator) on everything from RC-51's to other SVS's. I love backroad riding and do so every weekend. I

·
Registered
11 Posts
you got to hand it to buell - they are way ahead of the curve technology wise - i'm sure bike makers will be following soon

go ahead haters ...

Y

·
0 Posts
When it comes down to it, the performance of the two bikes lies in the rider... I can really push both of these bikes very hard with similar results (SV650X and XR-12R w/ Racekit). I honestly would LOVE to own it, but I simply cant justify the cost vs perfomance in comparison to the SV... When $$ will allow, I will have one as a 2nd or 3rd bike in the garage. It is a neat ride and a great bike (minus the clunky tranny), honestly, go ride one if you havent already. The dealer will do test rides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
soundman: What do you not like about your SVS that you think the XB9R will fill?

·
Registered
722 Posts
NickyG said:
you got to hand it to buell - they are way ahead of the curve technology wise - i'm sure bike makers will be following soon

go ahead haters ...
What? Ahead of the technology curve? Why because they use brakes attached to the wheels? If you've tried them you know that the SV's brakes feel better. Radial mount brakes are "technology" in my opinion. Buell's brakes are cool, but they don't seem any better, only different.

And how about that tech laden engine? That sucker positively bristles with tech. Oil in the swingarm, gas in the frame? OK, pretty cool, but is it any better or is it just different? I salute the guy for thinking out of the box, but The Motor Company has handcuffed him so badly that the bikes come out as odd, but not better in any meaningful way.

Y

·
0 Posts
Nimbus said:
NickyG said:

go ahead haters ...
What? Ahead of the technology curve? Why because they use brakes attached to the wheels? If you've tried them you know that the SV's brakes feel better. Radial mount brakes are "technology" in my opinion. Buell's brakes are cool, but they don't seem any better, only different.

And how about that tech laden engine? That sucker positively bristles with tech. Oil in the swingarm, gas in the frame? OK, pretty cool, but is it any better or is it just different? I salute the guy for thinking out of the box, but The Motor Company has handcuffed him so badly that the bikes come out as odd, but not better in any meaningful way.
Oh dont go there seriously... I really dont want to turn this into an arguement... Its a purpose built bike.... It was made to carve corners, not smoke a race-ready SS bike on the track, realize its purpose, and how its feature accentuate that.... DAMN. :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do think they are cool looking bikes. If the reliability was un-Harleylike (I dont know if it is or not) and the price was comparable to what you can get going metric then I would be riding one.

Y

·
0 Posts
Novadesigns said:
I think the argument was againbst the statement that Buells are high tech bikes. I agree, they aren't.
And you are wrong. What defines high-tech? Does it need sensors in the tires? No, it has to have an ingenious approach to create a great handling bike with a motor that has a perfect powerband for sitting in 3rd gear hitting twisties... For god sakes people, watch the videos on the Buell site, and then go ride one.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
hmm... well, I may get flamed for this but...

I like the Buell styling and such. Never ridden one but heard from many friends who have them or ridden them that they are a hoot to ride.

Now reasons I wouldln't buy one. 1) cost 2) engine is still HD (which to me is low tech except maybe VROD)... know someone who gets a group of Buell riders together almost every year for trip to Smokies... "almost" every year, at least one of the Buells develops an oil leak. and 3) most Buell riders don't get ANY respect. They are laughed at by sportbikers (not me.... just the one's with ego's bigger than their skills) and I have heard from several riders that HD dealerships don't want to give them the time of day since their bike is not a fat boy or custom cruiser. :roll:

but. if you don't mind dealing with the HD engine and cost is right... would be a hoot to own one.... I just think the SV would be more reliable all around. :wink:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yellow Nudist said:
Novadesigns said:
I think the argument was againbst the statement that Buells are high tech bikes. I agree, they aren't.
And you are wrong. What defines high-tech? Does it need sensors in the tires? No, it has to have an ingenious approach to create a great handling bike with a motor that has a perfect powerband for sitting in 3rd gear hitting twisties... For god sakes people, watch the videos on the Buell site, and then go ride one.
I don't mean to push buttons here or start an argument, but I have ridden one. I walked away brutally disappointed. If Buells are meant to carve corners, then why aren't they faster on short tracks with tons of corners. I rented a CBR600 RR at my last track day and rode all day with a competently ridden XB12. There was no contest. If he was in front leaving the pit, I could easily, easily out corner him in any corner on the track. On the very brief straights, the CBR was right with him until I hit about 13K and went right by. Why a SS600 could seriously gap an XB 12 on a track with a limited straight makes me wonder what the Buell is for. The bikes look cool, and sound cool, but they aren't the ultimate anything (street bike, corner carver, etc.). Again, I respect Erik Buell, I think his bikes look sweet, and I can see the appeal of an American bike. But you'd never get me off of my 650 for anything Buell makes right now. Oh, and I never got my free knee pucks from my demo ride...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Nimbus said:
Yellow Nudist said:
Novadesigns said:
I don't mean to push buttons here or start an argument, but I have ridden one. I walked away brutally disappointed. If Buells are meant to carve corners, then why aren't they faster on short tracks with tons of corners. I rented a CBR600 RR at my last track day and rode all day with a competently ridden XB12. There was no contest. If he was in front leaving the pit, I could easily, easily out corner him in any corner on the track. On the very brief straights, the CBR was right with him until I hit about 13K and went right by. Why a SS600 could seriously gap an XB 12 on a track with a limited straight makes me wonder what the Buell is for. The bikes look cool, and sound cool, but they aren't the ultimate anything (street bike, corner carver, etc.). Again, I respect Erik Buell, I think his bikes look sweet, and I can see the appeal of an American bike. But you'd never get me off of my 650 for anything Buell makes right now. Oh, and I never got my free knee pucks from my demo ride...

yeah but... are you sure it wasn't the rider who couldn't corner or the Buell? Setup also makes a big difference. I know someone who rides an older XB9 and he rocks on it. He is a racer though with many years experience. He leads many of our group rides and no one has ever complained about him going to slow... actually its just the opposite :lol:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
the buell has nothing over the sv going for it other than the "its different" aspect...

saying its not meant to compete with japanese sportbikes is an just excuse in my opinion... not even talking about supersports, just bikes like the sv650, 1000 or ducati monster .. aprilia tuono(sp?)

all the "tech" in that bike is hype anyway. none of it makes it handle better or go faster than a conventional sportbike. if buells tech was so far ahead of the game, trust me motogp would be beating down his door for rights to use the stuff in their machines.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man what a hornets nets I've stirred up..
The reason that I'm even considering the buell is that I love all bikes.... I love my SVS but if the buell handled better i would defintely be interested. From what I'm seeing though I'm just not sure that I wanna sell my bike and pony up an extra 2 large for a bike I'm not sure is gonna be better.
The bike is from an individual so I'm gonna see if I can talk him out of a weekend swap. One more thing that makes me want to swap bikes is depreciation. I just hate seeing my bike worth less and less every month. The buells seem to hold their value much better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
soundman said:
Man what a hornets nets I've stirred up..
The reason that I'm even considering the buell is that I love all bikes.... I love my SVS but if the buell handled better i would defintely be interested. From what I'm seeing though I'm just not sure that I wanna sell my bike and pony up an extra 2 large for a bike I'm not sure is gonna be better.
The bike is from an individual so I'm gonna see if I can talk him out of a weekend swap. One more thing that makes me want to swap bikes is depreciation. I just hate seeing my bike worth less and less every month. The buells seem to hold their value much better.
:shock: I briefly looked at buells in the paper, and it seemed like they were available used for a good price. I'd heard that they didn't resell well and that was part of what kept people from buying brand new ones.

·
Registered
54 Posts
soundman: Good to see you have made it through some of the vitriolic generalizations. One thing about the new Buell XBs: you either like them or you hate them. The people that don't own the new Buell XB's hate them for what they are not; those who own them love them for what they are.

As you can guess, they may not be the best bike to use for racing. If straight line performance is your thing, again, the Buell XB9R may not be the best bike for you. Contrary to some people's opinion, there are some very technological innovations on the new Buells. These innovations are in place to help the Buell XB be a better corner-carver; but as we all know very well, the rider is the most important element to good cornering. If you can ride your buddies XB9R for a while, you can formulate your own opinion. If your buddy will not let you ride it, try to demo it at a dealer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts