Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! I was planning on putting my heated grips on this weekend (symtech), but I cannot remove the clutch side bar end weight. The throttle side unscrewed with no problems, but the clutch side won't budge ... AT ALL!!! I can't turn the philips head bolt even a little, and I'm afraid that if I try much more, I might end up stripping out the head.
Any suggestions? I tried shooting some wd40 into the sides of the bolt head, but didn't seem to do much. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drill out the bolt, and replace (last option, of course).
Needless to say, I didn't get my heaters on :'( Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
55 Posts
wd-40 isn't really a penetrating oil.. try pb blaster - that worked for me when I had a broken bolt stuck in the head of my other bike.

There are other things you can do, like adding heat or hitting it with a hammer to get the oil in there a little better - but if you're planning to re-use the grips or the barends then you'll need to figure out what techniques you can use without destroying the parts you want to reuse.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It sounds crazy, but try turning the bar end. I had the same problem, and by accident I rotated the bar end a little and apparently it released pressure on the screw and I was able to unscrew it at that point.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds crazy, but try turning the bar end. I had the same problem, and by accident I rotated the bar end a little and apparently it released pressure on the screw and I was able to unscrew it at that point.
No, not crazy ... smart! I tried that as well, to no avail :( thx for the suggestion tho!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wd-40 isn't really a penetrating oil.. try pb blaster - that worked for me when I had a broken bolt stuck in the head of my other bike.

There are other things you can do, like adding heat or hitting it with a hammer to get the oil in there a little better - but if you're planning to re-use the grips or the barends then you'll need to figure out what techniques you can use without destroying the parts you want to reuse.
Yeah, after some more thought, and since bar end weights aren't that expensive, it'll probably just be easiest to drill the bolt out, and replace. No biggie I guess, but a HUGE PITA when you have a mission, and can't finish it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts