Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been to my local store in a few months. I remember the last time I was in there that Bilt seemed to be a popular brand for sale.

I came in today and literally 75% of the riding gear they sell is Bilt. I couldn't even find any Joe Rocket gear.

There helmet selection isn't any better. 75% Bilt, 10% Shoei and the rest goes to AGV and a few Arai helmets.

I asked one of the employees what was going on with all the Bilt helmets and he said...

"All helmets are the same. Fiberglass shell with padding."

:magpie:

I don't have anything against Bilt as a bargain brand. But I have a hard time believing there isn't serious demand for other brands in my area. I have no idea what's going on. They use to be the only refuge for good brands and good prices. Now I don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I try to avoid Cycle Gear and the local dealerships.

The customer service here is horrible. They seem to get a majority of their business from squids and das busa crowds. ya know, the guys who go in, buy a helmet, then strap it to the back of the bike....

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to long ago Cycle Gear was a good destination for a wide array of brands and price ranges. Now they're just whoring themselves out for Bilt and it makes me sad.

·
Registered
968 Posts
its not the greatest here, but i still take my tires there to get put on the rim and balanced. never buy them at the store though. internet has way better deals. i had not been in a while....since the last time i got a tire change (3K-ish miles ago) come to think of it.

broke that streak this past weekend when we stopped by there to get my fiancee some glove liners since they were on sale and actually cheaper than the internets. i have, however, noticed the extent to which bilt has taken over thier products. hell, the liners i bought were bilt lol

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
We just got a store in the past year and it has always been mostly Bilt. That is to be expected though since that is their brand. Why wouldnt they push their own brand over everything else? Bilt stuff is also good stuff for the money and meets a need for people that cant drop hundreds of dollars on gear. They will also order anything you want, let you try it on and return it there. If I was ordering something, I would do so from their online store and then return it in person if necessary.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'll preface this by saying that the CG in Lawrenceville, GA has freaking EXCELLENT customer service.

However:

Bilt stuff is also good stuff for the money and meets a need for people that cant drop hundreds of dollars on gear.
No. No it's not. I bought some gear to take my MSF course, including a pair of BiLT gloves and boots. The gloves came apart in less than a month. CG took them back and I exchanged them and paid the difference for some A* gloves that were the same form-factor for $10 more. They fit better, and show very little wear a year later. The boots, the 1st time I tried to use the peg that sticks out from the side stand to lower the side stand (instead of just hooking my toe on the stand itself), the peg went through the heel of the boot. They took those back with almost 3 months of wear on them, and I exchanged them for a pair of A* boots that were on sale for less than I originally paid. Used the difference to pick up some odds and ends.

So: depending on your store (just like every chain ever in the history of civilization), you may get good service there. Totally depends on the people. However: BiLT gear (at least their gloves and their boots) is garbage. If their jackets / helmets / pants are anything like the items I had, you're MUCH better off spending a few extra dollars and getting some name-brand stuff that's on sale. Try buying summer gear in the Winter, and winter gear in the summer. You'll spend basically BiLT money on good, quality gear that will last.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You know I bougth some Bilt gear when I first started riding about 4 months ago and I bought some perforated leather riding boots, overpants, gloves and their Iroworker jeans.

I have not had a single problem with the boots they are actually more comfortable than the Tourmaster boots I bought for winter riding I can walk in them and have no problems not the same for the tourmasters.

The gloves I bought were a summer glove and they had some silicone sticky stuff on the palm to help you grip better but it came off but the glove itself is fine. They also vent very well for a leather summer riding glove.

I love my jeans they have more Kevlar in them than the Draggin jeans I saw at another place.

My overpants are definately waterproof as I have ridin with them in a couple of showers with no issue.

I have not noticed any excess wear with the items except for the gloves and that was mainly a cosmetic item and I was kind of expecting it with the silicone webbing. I ride about 100 miles a day back and forth to work and I also do about 5 to 6 hours of riding on Saturdays on the back roads to get in some twisty fun so the gear has been put through it's paces and not just quickie rides to the store. I cannot vouch for how they hold up during a crash but I hope to never put any of my gear through that experience.

With all that being said I did buy Rocket brand gloves and a Rev'IT jacket for winter rain gear.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just so you guys know, cycle gear by me price matches online sites. At least by me they do. I bought a pilot power 180 rear tire from them last month for $110 that they had listed at like $180. Just brought a print out with me and they matched it. Call them and ask if they do by you. Saves on shipping and you can usually walk out with the item instead of waiting for it to come in the mail.

That being said, Bilt gear does fall apart faster.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I try to avoid Cycle Gear and the local dealerships.

The customer service here is horrible. They seem to get a majority of their business from squids and das busa crowds. ya know, the guys who go in, buy a helmet, then strap it to the back of the bike....

Ditto! You wouldn't happen to be talking about the 183/Burnet location?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't have anything against Bilt as a bargain brand. But I have a hard time believing there isn't serious demand for other brands in my area. I have no idea what's going on. They use to be the only refuge for good brands and good prices. Now I don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

I hear ya, the hard part is researching and then finding a local shop to try gear on. Then maybe ordering it online.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
No. No it's not. I bought some gear to take my MSF course, including a pair of BiLT gloves and boots. The gloves came apart in less than a month. CG took them back and I exchanged them and paid the difference for some A* gloves that were the same form-factor for $10 more. They fit better, and show very little wear a year later. The boots, the 1st time I tried to use the peg that sticks out from the side stand to lower the side stand (instead of just hooking my toe on the stand itself), the peg went through the heel of the boot. They took those back with almost 3 months of wear on them, and I exchanged them for a pair of A* boots that were on sale for less than I originally paid. Used the difference to pick up some odds and ends.

So: depending on your store (just like every chain ever in the history of civilization), you may get good service there. Totally depends on the people. However: BiLT gear (at least their gloves and their boots) is garbage. If their jackets / helmets / pants are anything like the items I had, you're MUCH better off spending a few extra dollars and getting some name-brand stuff that's on sale. Try buying summer gear in the Winter, and winter gear in the summer. You'll spend basically BiLT money on good, quality gear that will last.
My wife has Bilt boots and gloves and has no problem with them. We both have Bilt mesh jackets and again no problems. My brother has a Bilt helmet and loves it. My friends GF just got a Bilt helmet and loves it too. I guess you just had some bad luck but at least their customer service backed their product and made everything right for you. I still think it is quality gear at a good price point. If money was no issue, I would buy nicer stuff all around but money is always an issue lol

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
A few years ago, I rode over 400 miles round trip to get to a CG. I needed a new helmet and was living in the middle of nowhere with no dealers to speak of. I rode the distance because of the awesome selection they had...Shoei, Arai, HJC, Scorpion, etc. Same goes for the jackets, pants, gloves.

Today, it is a decidedly different scene. The last time I was in there, I inquired about this with the salesman. He also bemoaned the Bilt gear, but said that Bilt was working on some 'premium gear' to win back customers looking for better quality.

It's a shame for those who put a lot of miles on their gear. The Bilt stuff may meet a price point, but I've looked at and tried it on. There are a LOT of better options out there.

My opinion? Deal with Revzilla. Yes, you still can't try it on before you buy, but my buddies and I have found their customer service, selection, and shipping times to be exemplary.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
Excellent customer service at my local Cycle Gear (Pleasanton, CA). The guys there are really helpful and know their stuff. They ride and enjoy working with motorcycle stuff and know what they're talking about. Wish I could say the same for the big chain car parts places around here, who have for the last 15 years or so been stafffed by people who know nothing about cars and can only look stuff up in a book and get it off of a shelf.

Yeah, disturbing to see CG drop so many of thier good brands for Bilt stuff, but I'd imagine that's a corporate decision based on economics. As much as we all appreciate high quality stuff, they probably found themselves selling 10 Bilt helmets for every AGV or Arai. Doesn't take a genius to decide how to allocate floor space...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Closest CG to me is over 100 miles, so I don't get there much, definitely noticed that it may as well be called the BILT distribution center. I really hate that 90% of the store is bottom end stuff.

Ditto! You wouldn't happen to be talking about the 183/Burnet location?
I've been to this store a few times, hit or miss with customer service, I went in a long time ago asking questions about toll tag mounting, they all looked at me confused and said none of them owned one, they all just ride the white line through the TXTag lanes. I know a lot of guys do that, I've been guilty of it before (mainly just to see if it worked), but if you're representing a motorcycle store, shouldn't you at least have knowledge of the proper legal way to do it?

They did have a cool helmet storage thing that hangs in a closet, also holds a couple pair of gloves, apparently some local guy makes them and they let him sell there. That was a few months ago though, not sure if they still have any.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
A few years ago, I rode over 400 miles round trip to get to a CG. I needed a new helmet and was living in the middle of nowhere with no dealers to speak of. I rode the distance because of the awesome selection they had...Shoei, Arai, HJC, Scorpion, etc. Same goes for the jackets, pants, gloves.

Today, it is a decidedly different scene. The last time I was in there, I inquired about this with the salesman. He also bemoaned the Bilt gear, but said that Bilt was working on some 'premium gear' to win back customers looking for better quality.

It's a shame for those who put a lot of miles on their gear. The Bilt stuff may meet a price point, but I've looked at and tried it on. There are a LOT of better options out there.
Sedici is their premium brand. I dont have any experience with it though. If you created your own house brand, what would you stock the shelves with? As far as gear for there being much better gear out there, where do you see better gear for the price? Im not saying there isnt better gear out there just that its not in the same price range unless you get things on closeout.

My opinion? Deal with Revzilla. Yes, you still can't try it on before you buy, but my buddies and I have found their customer service, selection, and shipping times to be exemplary.
You do realize CG still has a full online selection right? They just dont stock their in store shelves with much outside of their brands.

They're 0-for-2 with me. Fool me twice, etc. I can only post my experience.

But yes, like I said, CG's customer service, at least at my store, has been truly excellent.
I definitely understand that and would probably feel the same way. I was cautious and would only compromise in certain areas like my mesh jacket which I barely wear and doesnt really provide that much protection anyway. I wouldnt have gotten a helmet from them in the dark but both of the people I know with helmets from them have really liked them so who knows in the future. I expect over time, more experiences with their gear will come out both positive and negative and either the stuff will sell or they will be forced to improve quality to a level that makes riders feel safe.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts