Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wrapped their 2nd gen SV?

I am curious how easy or hard it was - I have never done it. How hard was it from a novice user point of view?

If you farmed it out, what was the cost to do so? I assume the nekkid is easier to do since the front cowl is way more complex.

Thanks for your time!

·
very big dumb
10,570 Posts
i tried to do my track bike (and failed hard but learned some lessons in the process)
if your name is not ckwraps dont even try to do a tank in one piece. nor a front fender. nor a tail. basically anything with multiple angles means you want to cut. (obviously once you get good that's probably not the case).
buy EASY wrap (like avery) even if there are cool colors in 3m (hard)
youll still screw it up.
you really need perfect smooth clearcoated paint for wrap to stick.
regardless it wont last very long (couple years maybe)
and it will take paint off after being on there for a couple years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I was afraid of, Sergei - I was looking at all the angles and thinking, I could never do this - time and wrap wasted.

I asked for a paint quote and was 1000-1500...That sat me back down real quick....Might be cheaper to buy perfect new panels from suzuki - except for the tank

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
talk to DC Paintworx. i thin he quoted me around 800 to paint a bike.

a wrap is going to be about the same. because it's hard, and takes prep, and many hours of work.
Thank you, I am in Iowa as you now with stuff you ship me - shipping will also come into play, but I can ask around for sure. Going nekkid will eliminate the front cowl paint. Wonder if that makes it cheaper.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, but you run into the same issue as @mad8vskillz alluded to. Take myself, for instance. With IT and mechanical stuff, I pick up on it pretty quickly and do a fairly good job. But anything to do with bodywork/paint/wrap/ or even DETAILING?!? I’m absolutely USELESS. For example, that tank you painted? If that had been me, you’d see overruns, underruns, orange peel (whatever that even is…), uneven coats… You name the screw-up, and I’ll do it. So I leave anything other than unimportant stuff (like the winter rims on the car) to those with aptitude…

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,568 Posts
Man I was just thinking about your paintjob this week; still happy with it? That silver looks good, and it's a tough one to lay down.
It still looks great. Yes, the silver was a challenge. But like Salty pointed out, decent paint, and more importantly, Spray Max 2k clear makes all the difference. And doing the body work was a learning experience, but it worked out with surprisingly good results.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I asked for a paint quote and was 1000-1500...That sat me back down real quick....Might be cheaper to buy perfect new panels from suzuki - except for the tank
Wow! I had all plastics plus the tank for a Hayabusa painted OEM original at one of the local "high end" shops for $700. They even filled and fixed a rash through on one of the lower side fairing pieces, and couldn't tell anything (minus the Kanjis) had ever happened to it. $1k-$1.5K is just nuts for an SV650S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts