Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found my next everyday-use boots (I specially liked the ankle padding):

I also liked:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bates-Mens-Gx-4-Work-Black/dp/B000HV1L0A/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1344620271&sr=1-4&keywords=bates+GX+boot[/ame]

Any opinions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
IMO, get motorcycle-specific boots.

Would you go running in those boots? No, you'd get running shoes.

Would you play basketball in those shoes? No, you'd get basketball shoes.

Would you go skateboarding in those shoes?

You see where this is going, right?

·
Administrator
11,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cfreger.

I have seven pairs of motorcycle-specific boots and they are all great for weekends at the canyons, but either ugly (they look like space boots) or plain uncomfortable to wear every day all day. I work at home and I usually ride two or three times a day (running errands, visiting clients, etc) so I am looking for a good compromise between looks/comfort/safety so I don't have to change every time I hop on the bike.

I liked these boots because they have the advantages of being comfortable, made of leather, full height, and they seem to have good ankle padding.

Anyway, I'm not contradicting your opinion(s), I'm just telling a bit more on what I'm looking for and why I liked these.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just a suggestion, but why not look for something with a steel toe? I've used Red Wing boots with a steel toe for a long time, and I had a bike fall on my feet twice. Dunno if it was due to the steel toe, but my feets escaped unscathed. Pretty comfy to boot, and I've only had to replace the inserts twice in the four years I've had them. Though I have a nice wear mark on the left boot from shifting. :p

I'd also look for an all-leather boot for extra abrasion resistance, especially around the ankle bone and such.

·
Registered
818 Posts
IMHO, work boots and combat boots work fine for most motorcycling. They tend to be comfortable for all-day wear, including walking, often moreso that race-type bike boots. I wasn't impressed with the last link, as I prefer a bit taller boot.

The main downside is the lacing-up process, which can be a drag if you're in a hurry or have a reason to take the boots off and on during the day.

I've had steel-toed boots that I've used for riding, but would not buy them specifically. I don't see any real benefit to the steel toes, and the ones I have had have been less comfortable.

I've actually picked up a couple of pairs of Bilt (gasp!) boots, and have been happy with them so far (2 months). The TrackStar breathes well, but the toe sliders don't quite look right in a work/office/professional environment. The Tempest is waterproof (not tested yet), and looks more "professional", but it doesn't breathe much. Comfortable, but a bit warm in the summer (100F outside here). Pricing on sale is pretty decent. Not as good of quality as the expensive stuff, but hard to beat for the price.

·
Administrator
11,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah, I have a couple of Bilt's which I like just fine but, as you mentioned, they look kinda weird for everyday use.

The first three links above have side zippers so putting them on and off shouldn't be a problem ;D

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I picked up some redwings not too long ago. They are cordura (1000 denier) and use that boa lacing system. Same as knox handroids.

They are really nice. I don't wear em on the bike, but if I had to wear regular boots I'd definitely reach for those before any of my other combat/hiking/work boots.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I haven't tried Bates specifically, but I have a couple of pairs of Magnum duty boots that look very much like the Bates. The first pair has metal speed lace grommets like the Bates and I have to be really careful when getting on and off the bike so I don't scratch anything. That pair does not have a side zipper and it is a minor inconvenience to have to lace them up. However, they are quite comfortable for walking/all-day wear. They are full leather, so the protection is good and I have crash tested them twice. Had no foot injuries and the boots were undamaged, but I can't say the same thing wouldn't have happened if I had been wearing any other shoes.

The second pair look more like the Bates in your link except they have larger sections of textile and don't have the speed lace grommets so I don't have to be as careful about scratching anything. I would prefer all leather, especially around the ankle bone where many duty boots have textile over padding, but at least there is a decent layer of padding there. They do have side zippers, however, and so are easy to get on and off and are also very comfortable for walking. They also have a flap that covers the laces so I don't worry about them coming untied. Neither pair has a steel toe. I have avoided steel toe boots because some people claim they are more likely to cut off your toes in a crushing accident; don't know if that is true or not.

I've been very happy with the quality and longevity of the Magnum boots.

These are clearly a compromise for comfort vs ultimate protection, but so is mesh gear, for example.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
^^^^ +1

I have the A* SMX-4, as well as their Ridge model, and have easily gone all day, on and off the bike, for several days at a time, without feeling like I was compromising much on comfort for the protection.

The Ridge boots are slightly more comfortable than the SMX, as I find that the taller SMX can chafe at the calf after a lot of walking. OTOH, the SMX has the added protection of a taller boot (and, I can get some relief by adjusting the velcro so the top of the boot isn't quite so close to my calf).

The problem with hiking or security boots is that they are not made to protect the foot from the forces of a motorcycle accident. A reinforced toe box, hard plastic heel cup, hard armor over the ankle bones, a padded or armored shin guard -- you're giving all of those up. Not to mention the problems that laces can cause.

There are several touring style boots on the market that have all of the above features, and go well above the ankle, but are still not a full boot, and do not have the exoskeleton "racer" look. Alpinestars Ridge is just one example. Sidi and TCX also make similar boots. My advice is try a few of those and see if they will work for you, before giving up on the idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts