Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the bike on 3/31 and i am about 400 miles on the odometer. I going to to try to do most of the service my self. I called Long Beach Motor sports they said that it is $240 for labor plus part. I am sure that Del Amo Motor sports in Redondo Beach is close in price and I am not going to where i bought the bike at Mission Motorsports in Irvine because it is 50 miles or so from San Pedro where I live. I talked to a guy at a local shop called AFC racing he said an oil change and checking/tightening the bolts and screws is all you need to do. Is it the same oil filter as the SV650?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I think pretty much every Suzuki uses the same filter, but you can call the dealership and double check. There is a little more to the first service than what you were told though. You should also check the clutch and throttle cables for excessive play and check chain slack and adjust if necessary. None of those things is incredibly difficult, but you should make sure to do them if you decide to do this service yourself.

Now no more advice till we see some pics ;D

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Holy huge picture batman!

Here, use this one:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Looks pretty nice, how are you liking it so far?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I have to say, I like the looks of the bike. I really wanted to see one last weekend but the dealerships here haven't gotten any yet.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I just got the bike on 3/31 and i am about 400 miles on the odometer. I going to to try to do most of the service my self. I called Long Beach Motor sports they said that it is $240 for labor plus part. I am sure that Del Amo Motor sports in Redondo Beach is close in price and I am not going to where i bought the bike at Mission Motorsports in Irvine because it is 50 miles or so from San Pedro where I live. I talked to a guy at a local shop called AFC racing he said an oil change and checking/tightening the bolts and screws is all you need to do. Is it the same oil filter as the SV650?
Unless you got walk into buying some extended service plan I wouldn't worry about having the dealer do any of the work. I'll assume the Gladius is as bullet proof as the SV is so doing it all at home would be find. Change the oil every 3k, plugs every 7.5k, filter every 11k and do the valves every 15-20k and she'll run like a champ for 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Buy a couple tubes of blue threadlocker and go to town ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
listen, let the dealership do the 1st service and keep the receipt. It's a new model, you don't know what bugs haven't been worked out yet. You don't want something to go wrong and suzuki accusing you of not having the 1st service done.
good point thanks for the advice

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm curious, how does one remove the cover on the engine over the clutch? I seen the bike @ the stealer and I was wondering how you take the cover off. No bolts there.

Anyone have a service manual for this bike yet?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Glad i dont live in the US. Over here in the Uk our first service is free, You only pay for labour which would be round about £35- 40 pounds.

Madjohn.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
35 to 40 Euro is still like 70-80 US dollars.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm curious, how does one remove the cover on the engine over the clutch? I seen the bike @ the stealer and I was wondering how you take the cover off. No bolts there.

Anyone have a service manual for this bike yet?
I don't have a service manual, yet. If you are talking about the part I am thinking of, its plastic piece, there are three bolts one on top two underneath, and you actually have to take a screw out of the clutch to get it off. I actually took it off to paint it matte black. See pic.
Is it this piece?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Don't you lot over the pond have to get the bike serviced by a stealer to keep the bike in warranty.

Over here we do. Two years unlimited mileage.

Madjohn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In answer to the original question, yes I've done my own service. Last weekend did my first oil and filter change. Very easy to do on your own! Oil filter is right there in front so extremely easy to get to!

:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts