Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, b/c I did not look at the instructions that came with my undertail I need to make my own. I have a race tail, so the undertail could not be mounted and i didn't look that good with the race tail.

I would just keep the plastic, but I stupidly cut the back of the plastic out to accomidate the undertail. Now I have a huge frickin' hole right below the taillight. So, instead of replacing it with another stock plastic piece, I am thinking about making one out of aluminum. This way I can mount it to the subframe.
I am also thinking about modifying the battery tray as my svraceshop shock resevoir rubs on the battery----can't have that.

So if anyone has ever done this or have any other thoughts or suggestions, post 'em up

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
By undertail do you mean undertail exhaust or inner-fender?

Brad (Rivited) build his own undertail exhaust

I built my own subframe and inner-fender

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
donniej said:
By undertail do you mean undertail exhaust or inner-fender?

Brad (Rivited) build his own undertail exhaust

I built my own subframe and inner-fender
inner fender. I chopped mine to it the hotbodies undertail. I feel like such an idiot. MY battery box is already modded for the previous gixxer shock, but now doesnt fit. I am thinkjng about a new battery tray (aluminum) and an aluminum undertail

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I got some pics but my web site is down right now...

I'd basically do this. Make up some steel "L" brackets and braze them to the subframe (which is steel). I used 3/4" X 3/4" X 1/8" thick angle iron and drilled and tapped them for 1/4" X 20 bolts. 6 brackets should do it. After they're on cut up a piece of aluminum (for your bike I'd use 1/16" shiney aluminum diamond plate, diamond side down). Use fender washers to make sure you spread out the load a bit. You can then hack your battery box off and pop rivet it onto your new inner fender where ever you like.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
donniej said:
I got some pics but my web site is down right now...

I'd basically do this.  Make up some steel "L" brackets and braze them to the subframe (which is steel).  I used 3/4" X 3/4" X 1/8" thick angle iron and drilled and tapped them for 1/4" X 20 bolts.  6 brackets should do it.  After they're on cut up a piece of aluminum (for your bike I'd use 1/16" shiney aluminum diamond plate, diamond side down).  Use fender washers to make sure you spread out the load a bit.  You can then hack your battery box off and pop rivet it onto your new inner fender where ever you like. 
time to go back to the metal supply warehouse....will post pics as I get going.
Thanks donnie

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I started today. I have the new battery tray cut out. I need to weld it up tomorrow. I also pulled the subframe and started cleaning all unneccesary brackets up and smoothing down some rough spots.

Is it OK to cut the hoops off? They don't seem to have a structural part in the subframe. What about taking top brace out? It is really bulky. I would replace it with a lighter piece of steel to keep the strength

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
many cut the grab handles off the bottom... no big deal.

I'm not an engineer (though I did build my own subframe from scratch...) but I'd be OK with cutting off the cross member as long as you replace it with something to pick up the load. I'd suggest using thin walled angle iron or tubing and weld it in with an "X" patter as wide as possible. This should give more center strength than OEM with the same or maybe less weight...
Maybe you could take a piece of 1/16" sheet and weld it in the middle between them too. You could cut some out of the middle for weight or maybe even use that area to mount the battery or fuse box... food for thought... ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am taking the battery tray to a friend (master welder) to help with the alumimum. I suck at welding aluminum and this is a smaller peice. I am also going to talk to him and see what kind of price we can work out for an aluminum subframe. I have all the material needed.
I really need to get my back back on the road, so I might hold off on the new subframe.....errrr gas prices suck and I drive a supercharged 4runner with 33s, so I need the SV back.

Donnie I am planning on using your idea for the lightest, strongest subframe possible. We'll see what happens today....

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
if you have to have an aluminum subframe I'd start with a GSXR or 04/05 SV subframe. You could probably mount it with minimal mods or by making adapter brackets.

To use a custom subframe you "only" need worry about mounting up the battery, fuse box, rear tank mount, regulator, ignition module and brake reservoir... it's a piece of cake ;D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
donniej said:
if you have to have an aluminum subframe I'd start with a GSXR or 04/05 SV subframe.  You could probably mount it with minimal mods or by making adapter brackets. 

To use a custom subframe you "only" need worry about mounting up the battery, fuse box, rear tank mount, regulator, ignition module and brake reservoir... it's a piece of cake  ;D
I was ony thinking aluminum b/c I have a lot of it and access to a machine shop. I know there are a number of things that need to be mounted to the subframe. I am going to have my buddy look at the stock subframe and see what he thinks as far as time involved.
The battery tray will be mounted to the undertail and to the subframe.

Since I need my bike on the road, I might mod my subframe, mount the new undertail w/ battery tray and save the AL subframe for the winter. I have another friend that writes CAD programs. I can take him the dimesions on the subframe w/ a sketch and he will put it in a CAD. I know there are aftermarket subframes out there, but I am going to see what is involved in making my own first. I believe I can get a real accurate ballpark before I undertake/ commit to a one off.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sarcasim noted ;D I never take on a simple project. Don't know why, it always something grand with me ::)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
FilthyRich said:
sarcasim noted ;D I never take on a simple project. Don't know why, it always something grand with me ::)
What other projects have you done?

I have quite a few odd balls of my own...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
donniej said:
What other projects have you done?

I have quite a few odd balls of my own...
This is a current work in progress. I have an 02 GSXR 1000 race tail that I am modding the subframe for

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have also been modding my 4runner quite a bit. Supercharger, suspension and body lift (both installed by me), custom steel bumpers.
Plus I have been renovating our house and helped build our 16'X18' garage this spring.
Oh and I have a kid on the way--probably best project yet ;D

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Congrats on the kid! I guess you might as well get your mods out of your system now 'cuz you're free time is almost up! ;D

Sounds like you got your hands full....

I have the SV that I bought trashed and fitted the H2 tail and lots of other stuff.

1985 BMW Diesel to run veggie oil and my oil processing system.

I also have a 1940 Dodge that I need to do steering linkage on. I was also thinking of converting it to run either propane or ethanol... so many ideas, so little time :(

I almost forgot my 1974 Suzuki 125 that I'm restoring. It was my first bike and I've had it since I was 13... 17 years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Even without the veggie fuels I still love Diesels....

All mechanical injection, no electronics/electrics, 3,000 PSI injection pressure, 22:1 compression (with turbo)... OH YEA!!!
Much more solid technology than gasoline engines.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I go the undertail built yesterday. It is a solid piece of AL with an integrated batery box. I ditced the battery tray from eary. Incorprating it into the undertail added strength. The subframe has been smoothed---hoops cut off as well as any other bracket or tab that is not needed.
I still have some shaping on the tail part to get the curve right under the tail light.

I should have some pics up later today. No more shock resevoir rubbing on the battery and I get to have an undertail with a race tail ;D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, when you do something for the first time things are bound to come up and slow the project down. I mounted the undertail only to realize when the battery is in place, the battery box has too much play in it. I did not make a clean break when I put the bend in the AL for the tray.
Now I have to redo the entire undertail. This time I have a model to go by and I will improve on the 1st.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts