Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure you have all noticed this but maybe not discussed it. What is up with Harley/Custom riders and their gear or lack there of? I talked to a typically Harley guy today who had some sort of flak vest that was lined in body armor or Kevlar. I was like what is that vest for? Crashes. But it is a vest it only covers your back and torso what about your arms? Isn't that the most likely road rash area? AAAHHHHH!?!?!?!?! So that helmet? It just covers the top of your head? What is that for? Crashes....
I just don't get it. Are we the only riders smart enough to wear gear? I have never once seen a Harley/Custom rider wearing any gear. Occasionally I see guys on Jap cruisers or Triumph cruisers with good gear. Once again are we the only ones smart enough to buy gear? The only people I have ever seen in full gear are sport bike riders and BMW riders and they always say the guys on the sport bikes are the most dangerous. At least we know how to dress for the event. And, before people start saying I am stereotyping Harley/Custom riders I will just come right out and tell you yes I am stereotyping it is part of my right to free speech, it comes from hundreds of thousands of years of man's evolution where the ability to recognize patterns was formed, it is strongly related to the Law of Averages, and yes it does of course make me a total idiot as well.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Goldwing riders are the least geared around here. Work pants button up shirt and a helmet and thats it. Apparehently the massive size of the bike makes them feel invincible, I dont know.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I work at a Harley dealer. It's not a theory - it's fact. Cruisers riders don't wear gear. Why? Who knows? My theory is two-fold. One, they wouldn't "look right" wearing gear. And two, they think that because they ride at a more relaxed pace, they're less likely to be involved in an accident in the first place. I think that second part is applicable to the GoldWing guys as well.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Muddturtle3 said:
I've seen idiots on all kinds of bikes.
+1. My favorite is shorts, T-shirt and sandals on a GSXR1000.

However, it's also true that Harley/Cruiser riders typically do not wear gear - or at least safety gear. For these people it's all about image. Safety gear is simply unfashionable. You have to wonder just how much riding they really do. A hardshell bug - not to mention a piece of thrown gravel - hitting your face at 60mph is way too much to pay for looking bad-ass IMO, not to mention what happens if you go down.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wee twin said:
+1.   My favorite is shorts, T-shirt and sandals on a GSXR1000. 

However, it's also true that Harley/Cruiser riders typically do not wear gear - or at least safety gear.  For these people it's all about image.  Safety gear is simply unfashionable.  You have to wonder just how much riding they really do.  A hardshell bug - not to mention a piece of thrown gravel - hitting your face at 60mph is way too much to pay for looking bad-ass IMO, not to mention what happens if you go down.

+1 that is what I don't get. I have ridden maybe a handfull of times in summer where something substantial didn't peg my face sheild. From bugs, (God forbid a Palmetto bug those things would knock you off the bike) to rocks, to things I was not even clear what they were. I replaced my sheild this summer and it was cheaper than replacing my face and my boyish good looks and all. I just don't see how they ride w/o gear. Looking cool is great. How cool will you look with half your face ground off. I love my gear and think it looks very cool. I don't know I just don't understand Harely/Customs. Many of the custom riders I know are very inexperienced riders as well so they really need some gear.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
What I want to know is how these guys can be big on looking "fashionable",
yet they'll wear leather jackets/chaps/etc w/ tassles all over them that came straight from the 80s.

I was watching that "Cant buy me Love" movie from the 80's and thought it was pretty funny how a lot of the Harley guys still dress that way.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I don't think sports bike riders as a whole are any better - I see lots of people on sports bikes in tshirts and shorts.

I think that it just comes down to the fact that many people buy bikes because they want to look good - gear apparently is just not cool.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, I could never understand how someone could not wear a full face helmet, not only for crashing, but for bugs. Around me it isn't just cruisers either, nobody wears gear, except myself, and a very few sportbike riders I've seen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The "gear issue" come up time and time again, with people wondering how anybody could be stupid enough to ride a bike without proper equipment. Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes proper "gear". I for one commute with helmet, leather jacket, gloves, boots and jeans. I know that jeans won't save my legs in a slide along the asphalt, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

Some people think that a "soup bowl" helmet is all that is required to be safe, while at the other end of the spectrum are the riders in full face helmet, full leathers, boots, gloves, back protector, etc. They will claim that you are an idiot to ride without a back protector. You wouldn't want to spend the rest of your life in a wheel chair would you?

I don't care what gear people ride with. Everyone has there own perception of safety, live and let live, to each their own, blah blah blah.

With the roads are full of people who barely qualify to operate a coat hanger much less a motorized vehicle, the real question is "who would be stupid enough to ride a motorcycle in the first place?"

Oh yeah, I am. :-[

·
Registered
96 Posts
I spent the better half of a night trying to convince a Harley rider that wearing a helmet (and not those "novelty use only" ones) was safer than not wearing one. He would have none of it. He's anti-Helmet Law, and if there weren't one, he would not be wearing one. What is the matter with these people??

Of course he thought I had no idea what I was talking about cuz he was 30 something and I'm just a kid. And a girl on top of that, so it was a pointless conversation in the first place. In his opinion, a girls place is riding b!tch on the back, and that the only real bike is a Harley.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
My coworker was following a beanie and leather vest biker on a decreasing radius turn onto a highway.
The guy landed face first sliding against the curb. Facial road rash and plastic surgery is a badge of honor ... ::)

I know for a fact that it is not IF I get into an accident ... it is WHEN I do, and I want to improve all the odds neccesary so I can get up and walk away!

I want to call my insurance company and say I want new gear and a new bike. There is no question my odds are better wearing gear.
Maybe it is because we watch FASTER and MotoGP and see these people get up and walk away wearing gear.

I do not want to be in a long term nursing home existing. My dad is in a nursing home ... there are three bikers there ...

G

·
I will go out without my riding jacket once in a while, if I'm not leaving my neighborhood since I will only be going 35mph at the most. Just to return videos a few blocks away or something it's a helmet and gloves. I hope people don't think I'm some cocky high school kid or anything :-\

I frequently get pieces of gravel or huge bugs banging right off my face shield though. I can't see how people right around without one. :eek:

My favorite is those people who tell you that helmets are dangerous because they will snap your neck :eek: ::)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought it was bad in california. I just moved to montana and I can count the number of people I have seen wearing helmets on one hand, including me. I see the occasional riding jacket, otherwise it is t shirt and jeans, maybe with one of those useless vests. The only set of full leathers I have seen here is the one I own. It is a completely different attitude, but a different attitude won't save you the road rash and skull fractures.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't help but believe that the answer to this question is that favorite Harley maxim:

"If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand"

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know I often wonder the same. I talked to my girlfriends mom and boy friend (harley guy) why the lack of gear. Their excuse was the fact that they ride in such large groups that they don't see andy thing happening. The funny thing is that they told me this at my house which they rode the bike over ( no group to be seen ). ??? ???

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
SunTzu said:
I thought it was bad in california. I just moved to montana and I can count the number of people I have seen wearing helmets on one hand, including me. I see the occasional riding jacket, otherwise it is t shirt and jeans, maybe with one of those useless vests. The only set of full leathers I have seen here is the one I own. It is a completely different attitude, but a different attitude won't save you the road rash and skull fractures.
I wear the "full Monty": full-face, leather jacket, overpants, gloves and boots. (Not to mention earplugs.)  

Your post made me think of those times when I am stopped in traffic next to some gearless cruiser rider - often with a gearless girl on the back.   The feeling of irony is palpable.  It's like two completely perspectives on motorcycling are suddenly juxtaposed on each other.  I wonder what they must think of me.

I don't necessarily believe everyone is "destined" to fall, but if you ride long enough, the chances are pretty good for a least a low speed get off.  I've had my share.  I guess they are just "Darwin's" waiting for a physics lesson (of course, non-bikers might level the same charge at me). I am still amazed how they put up with the routine stuff like bugs and stuff.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The cruiser community has a "uniform" and the lack of safety gear is part of the dress code. I've always found it ironic that the H-D/cruiser crowd work so hard to look tough/independent and then they look like everyone else in their crowd.

boardsNbikes

1 - 20 of 52 Posts