Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two and a half months ago my battery died. I got a new battery and also got a Battery Tender Jr. For the first month ever time I parked the bike at home it got put on the BT. When I went back to school about a month and a half ago I forgot my BT. I had been fine up until this past week. I had been noticing the bike hadn't been starting as quick, but it wasn't anything to harp about. Then this past week I got on and it just kept turning over and eventually drained the battery enough to where it wouldn't turn over. I had my buddy push me and pop started it thinking I would drive it around enough to recharge the battery. Well I did, but after I shut it down and tried to restart I had the same symptoms. Throughout the week its been getting worse. Today I went to try and start it and it barely turned over once or twice. After pop starting it I drove about two blocks and it died while I was riding. I wondering if it may be the rectifier since I've seen on here these seem to be a problem with our bikes.
I really only noticed this this week. I didn't have any problems with the old battery until it died, and I can't imagine it would be the battery again since its only two and a half months old. I'm going to go home this weekend and grab my BT and get a fully charged battery and see what happens. I'd imagine history is going to repeat itself and I'm going to have to really dive in to see what's going on. Just thought I would ask the experts first and get some first hand experiences on the matter.
Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Test your R/R see what output you are getting. I had the exact same issue, mine turned out to be the main 30a fuse was bad, but not blown, however most of the time charging issues are due to a faulty R/R.

If it is the R/R look into doing the R/R swap stickied at the top of this sub-forum.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Driving around for a bit will not recharge a low, discharged battery. The max output of the stator and R/R is at 5Krpm. Charge the battery with the Tender, meter the voltage of the battery at rest, 12.5-13V. Install in bike and turn on the ignition, the voltage should slowly drop to ~12V. Check the battery voltage while cranking, should not drop below high 10s and then at idle should be ~13+. At 5Krpm, the voltage should read 13.5-15V.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts