Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 03 Sv 650S . Third owner, got it this sept, with M4 and slide pegs from prev. owner.

Have been  finding it hard to up shift or downshift at normal 3000 rpm . But if I rev it higher to 4000 rpm , it shift easily.
Dealer has asked me to bring it in for a check up.

Not sure how the prev owner maintained it, was a young kid, wheelies and probably raced it too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Not sure how much help I can be, but maybe a little more info will hope those more knowledgable to answer.

How many miles on it? Does it look like it has ever been down? Scratches on the cases, bent anything, etc.
Is the clutch stiff at high or low rpm's? (Thinking dry as the Sahara cable)

edit: BTW Welcome aboard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bought it at 4700 miles . Not it has about 5700 miles. When I inspected the bike It was scratchless, but after I bought it , 1 week after inspection , I noticed some scratches on the right side, nothing major, looks like it was laid down or something, probably between the time of inspection and purchase. But thats on the other side.
Nothings bent or out of shape.

The clutch is fine at all rpms, but the bike did jump when shifting from neutral to 1st. THen had the clutch readjusted.

Probably the gear linkage needs some work.

Funny thing is , when I try to shift and its hard , I rev it higher by about a 1000 revs and the shift is much easier.

Had the 4K service done last month at the dealership.

Seems like an intermittent problem. Sometimes its easy to shift, sometimes its not.

Thanks anyways
Mark4jon

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
have you changes the oil? try changing the oil. if that don't work try changing the viscosity of the oil. if that doesn't work try switching from dino juice to synthetic. i dunno what rpms i usually down shift at because i do it by sound not rpm's so i dunno where i usually down shift.

hey not all of us young kids do wheelies and race. well there propbally are some who don't :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B.a ,

THe rpms were for the upshift , not the down. My downshift are I guess based on speed.

And I'm not against wheelies and racing. I'd like to try it out too, when I get real comfortable on my bike.... ;)

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
mark4jon said:
B.a ,

THe rpms were for the upshift , not the down. My downshift are I guess based on speed.

And I'm not against wheelies and racing. I'd like to try it out too, when I get real comfortable on my bike.... ;)

Thanks,
your up shifting at 3k rpms? wow i feel really fast now. i up shift at like 5k rpms and thats when i'm going easy. when i'm riding at my normal speed (cough* faster than i should be going*cough) i usually don't upshift till like 8k rpms? some where around there any way. just upshift at a higher rpm. i was told once that upshifting at to low of an rpm is worse than upshifting at to high of an rpm..... i have no clue if thats true but i think 3k rpms is way to low to shift.

·
Registered
629 Posts
3k is really low to upshift on...this isn't a car..shift out a little higher. I also wait until around 5k takingit easy and much higher when really running it.

I wouldgo to synthetic and see if that helps also. Go buy some mobile 1 15-50w and put in there just make sure it doesn't say "Energy Saving" or something like that in the bottom half of that circle that's on the back of all oil bottles. Top half saws SF approved or something like that. Pick up several and you will see what I mean.

Don't do wheelies for extended periods on these bikes. You will screw up the motor. Oil pickup is in the front of the motor so when you are wheeling there is no oil circulating through the motor..hence motor damage.

Ther will be scratches around the foot pegs or the case covers next to the foot pegs where the boots rest up against. Look for gauge marks or such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks y'all . Seems like I have to change my riding technique a little bit. Shouldn't be prob.

happy riding.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just don't baby it, it's meant to be ridden. When ever I'm riding the wife's bike I tend to shift at around 7500 when going normal and around 10000 to 10500 when having fun. ;D Go out and ride the piss out of it. Trust me you're not going to hurt it. Oh yeah, run synthetic oil, and don't be late on changing it and this bike will last you forever.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
shift linkage needs to be cleaned occasionally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.