Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know patience is key and I will keep searching. Right now there is one for 160 something, but for that price I'd rather get a different shock. I have been hunting over a month and right now I am thinking about just getting a 03-04 GSXR 1000 rear shock.

I weigh 160 with gear. I am 5'7" skinny. Bike is a 2003 SV650S

I miss my gold visor.

Tons of information some of it confusing and contradictory. I understand that 03-04 gsxr 1000 = Cut battery box and get bottom bolt.

Question: Will it raise my rear end? If so awesome. Is it suitable for my weight? I will be riding with my girl occasionally. Combined weight uhh 290-300.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The shock itself is 2mm longer, so the tail will be raised a smidge.

What are you aiming to achieve with the new shock? The stock SV shock is sprung well for your weight. The GSXR1k has a higher spring rate, but depending on your riding style it could work. Whether the valving and other dynamics will be suitable for the SV is a different topic.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel the rear get some air? Even on the lowest setting for the rear. I can tell it feels planted but doesn't handle bumps well. I will be doing track day and two up riding.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What are you aiming to achieve with the new shock? The stock SV shock is sprung well for your weight.
The spring rate is the least of the problems with the OEM rear shock. Existent and adjustable rebound and compression damping makes the upgrade more than worth it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ opmike that's what I have read ^_^

so I am psyched because a SVR member has one (06-07 zx10r) and I am just waiting for reply before the weekend is over! Plus I took my gf on a ride yesterday, first time (i spent half a year getting her gear until this week she finally got all her gear). Shock on preload 7 I can flat the bike. The sv is a really long bike :eek: I gotta find a good two up riding style.

·
Registered
130 Posts
what is the going rate for this?

Local shop had one in stock, he wanted $250+ tax for it. He had the black and silver one. Because new is about $850.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ what Enrico said

If you really wanna cop one this guy on ebay cut me a deal saying $139 I can give you the email. Personally I wasn't down for it. Ever since they found out SV riders like to swap it the price is ridiculously high. Every other year EVEN THE NEWER ONES are cheaper. Granted they don't fit, or fit as well without minor cutting. Also spring rate and what not is different.

Enrico, what after market shocks could you find for a couple hundred more. The only one I can think of is the Hagon brand, or do you mean whenever some go on sale?

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Enrico, what after market shocks could you find for a couple hundred more. The only one I can think of is the Hagon brand, or do you mean whenever some go on sale?
I don't know about a couple, but I've seen more than a few times where someone gets a new track bike and decides to either part or sell any spares they have laying around. I've seen penskes for a GSXRs go for $250 to 475.

Patience is the key. As with anything else, if someone's willing to wait, they'll eventually find it. When I got my ZX14 shock, at the time I seen people looking for $90-110. Ridiculous, I waited and found one cheaper.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I don't know about a couple, but I've seen more than a few times where someone gets a new track bike and decides to either part or sell any spares they have laying around. I've seen penskes for a GSXRs go for $250 to 475.

Patience is the key. As with anything else, if someone's willing to wait, they'll eventually find it. When I got my ZX14 shock, at the time I seen people looking for $90-110. Ridiculous, I waited and found one cheaper.
Thing with aftermarket penske double/triple (with remote res), elka 2way/3way or ohlins 606 is they'll either need a rebuild or rebuild+mods to suit the SV & rider weight. A $250 used shock out of the box shock works out to being a $500 ready to run shock pretty quick. I picked up a Penske triple a couple months ago as a project shock and even when doing most of the work myself (+ help from someone who's far more qualified than I am lol) the price is adding up.

But with that being said, there are many less 'track'-oriented shocks like the Penske 8900E, Ohlins S46DR1 and whatever the Hagon w/o remote reservoir is. These are around $500 new but have less adjustability (e.g. linked damping, no ride height adjust).

I totally agree with you that paying ~$100 for a used shock is bonkers. My ZX10R was $30 (...and $100 race tech spring + adapter, but the shock itself was cheap) and I sold my stock SV shock for $30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts