Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just picked up an 2007 sv1000s. I have been looking around and I see some of you have bike with hard Side cases but I don't see what year bikes you have.

I just talked to givi and they told me a side case mount was not available for my model and year bike -_- is this true or not??

Looking for a way to carry my girlfriend jacket and helmet as well as other stuff for touring.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
That is correct. Givi discontinued the side and top rack for the 2nd Gen. SV's (650's as well as 1000...used the same rack)

You can look for a set used, or get the racks from SW Motech. They fit the same hard bags (Givi Monokey)

·
Registered
64 Posts
And the SW Mono's are better than the Givi mounts. They are easily removed with quarter turns of 3 mounting screws on each side. Off in less tha 1 minute for a cleaner look when you are not using the cases. We had them on a BMW F650 CS.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
And the SW Mono's are better than the Givi mounts. They are easily removed with quarter turns of 3 mounting screws on each side. Off in less tha 1 minute for a cleaner look when you are not using the cases. We had them on a BMW F650 CS.
I have owned both, and that is just your opinion.

I feel that the Givi racks are much stronger. The removability aspect I can live without.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Danimal, did you have a problem with the SW-Moto racks? I've got them on my Strom, 36K+ miles, many of them heavily loaded, no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
No problems until the bike went down.

They held up fine until the crash. Two of the Dzus broke on one side and the support bracketry bent pretty badly. When I tried straightening one of the bent brackets it cracked. That's when I went to Givi.

Years later (this past Memorial day weekend hit a deer and crashed), the bike went down with Givi racks. The racks not only held up well (didn't even bend, but the JCW case was destroyed) they helped protect the bike in the crash.

I used to care about what my bike looked like with racks on it.

Now I don't care at all.

In fact, I rarely ride without my cases anymore, regardless of the focus or duration of the ride. Too much upside to having them on, not enough downside to their presence to remove them.

This is just my opinion of course. SW Motech makes nice stuff. I have their centerstand and love it. Making a blanket statement that they are a better rack because they can be removed is misleading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out the Givi waterproof duffel ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Givi-Weatherproof-TW01-Roll-Bag/dp/B004XDT7Q8[/ame]) it's a lot cheaper and has worked well for me. I like that is compresses down to fit what's in there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I bought my SV-1000K naked model new in July, 2003, I immediately contacted "Twisted Throtttle" which at the time was a distributor for SW-Motech and Hepco & Becker.

The mounts from Motech are very sturdy but very heavy as well, compared to the mounts on my two Moto Guzzi touring bikes. However, the mounts are quick detachable, as well as the hard bags. The H&B 30 liter cases and a 30 liter top box make touring on my Sv-1000 very easy. Not cheap; the total cost was near $900 and that was 8-9 years ago! But, I got what I paid for in durability and ease of use.

Oh, a Scottoiler also helps for longer rides.

Ralph

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
No problems until the bike went down.

They held up fine until the crash. Two of the Dzus broke on one side and the support bracketry bent pretty badly. When I tried straightening one of the bent brackets it cracked. That's when I went to Givi.

Years later (this past Memorial day weekend hit a deer and crashed), the bike went down with Givi racks. The racks not only held up well (didn't even bend, but the JCW case was destroyed) they helped protect the bike in the crash.

I used to care about what my bike looked like with racks on it.

Now I don't care at all.

In fact, I rarely ride without my cases anymore, regardless of the focus or duration of the ride. Too much upside to having them on, not enough downside to their presence to remove them.

This is just my opinion of course. SW Motech makes nice stuff. I have their centerstand and love it. Making a blanket statement that they are a better rack because they can be removed is misleading.
Well, no one can say your product testing isn't thorough! :)

I had a tipover on the Strom (dude backed into the bike in a parking lot) and the SW racks survived fine. So while they may not serve well as crash bars I don't think they're fragile. Obviously everyone's different, but for me even on the Strom I like the ez-on/ez-off. On a sportier bike it'd be even more of a benefit for me.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Well, no one can say your product testing isn't thorough! :)

I had a tipover on the Strom (dude backed into the bike in a parking lot) and the SW racks survived fine. So while they may not serve well as crash bars I don't think they're fragile. Obviously everyone's different, but for me even on the Strom I like the ez-on/ez-off. On a sportier bike it'd be even more of a benefit for me.
Understood.

I have seen some bikes with different variations of the Givi welded tubular racking take hellacious hits and hold up well. Even with massive aluminum cases, it's usually the luggage that fails (most specifically the lock/latch mechanism). And true, the SWM racking is heavier overall.

Maybe that's not an important purchasing point to some. Doesn't matter really as Givi made the selection easy when they discontinued support for the SV series.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
I have the motech racks with givi e21s on my 07. When I flipped my bike, I damaged both side cases but the racks were fine and my top case was somehow untouched. I never take them off, but prefer the more angular mounts. The Givis look odd on the 07 imho.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I never take them off, but prefer the more angular mounts. The Givis look odd on the 07 imho.
Nothing wrong with liking what you have, especially when it works well.

But stating that you think the SWM are more aesthetically pleasing is kinda humerous

This

Looks better than this?

really??

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Sorry - I meant the hardware without the racks. ;)

As an aside, those two holes at the rear of the plate are awesome for cargo nets.
That can't be what you meant, because the Givi racks have no brackets left behind. In a few minutes you can remove the Givi rack and see NO visible brackets!! Lol
Anyways I liked the SWM racks when I had them.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
That can't be what you meant, because the Givi racks have no brackets left behind. In a few minutes you can remove the Givi rack and see NO visible brackets!! Lol
Anyways I liked the SWM racks when I had them.
:rolleyes:

I thought they were a royal pain to remove so the default was to leave them on whereas with the SWM hey pop right off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts