Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, everytime i turn the ignition on the 650S from a cold start, the bike just doesn't want to shift into neutral. the lever won't move for a few seconds like it's stuck or something. is this normal

·
Registered
597 Posts
Check oil level.

As for starting in neutral :| whatever tickles you pickle.

Only time I start it in gear is at gas stations. It just works out that way for some reason.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Inch forward a bit and ease out the clutch as you shift.

+1 on the oil. I began to notice hard shifts on my bike, but after the 600 mile service it was sliky smooth!!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Neutral/shifting issues when cold

-- Oil level at L to halfway between L and F when bike is level and oil is cold (before starting). Overfilled oil has a negative effect on shifting smoothness, especially when cold.

-- Right type of oil (as per manual); I have found heavy duty diesel (dino) oils such as Rotella 15-40 and synthetics provide slightly better cold shifting than standard non synthetic motorcycle oils. Car dino oils are the worst, YMMV.

-- Clutch adjustment (free play) is per manual specs so that clutch can fully engage. Make sure your pinky, signal housing, grip, etc. are not interfering with clutch lever travel.

-- Make sure your shift linkage is clean (thanks RandyO).

-- Start in neutral and allow 15-30 seconds of warm-up before trying to shift into first. Then take it easy on the RPMs and shifting for 1-2 minutes to allow the engine and oil to fully reach operating temperature.

-- On the first shift after starting, walk the bike forward so you are moving forward as you shift. This will smooth the shift into first.

-- Hard shifting is normal when the oil is cold.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: Neutral/shifting issues when cold

Six Chin Skinny said:
-- Oil level at L to halfway between L and F when bike is level and oil is cold (before starting). Overfilled oil has a negative effect on shifting smoothness, especially when cold.

-- Right type of oil (as per manual); I have found heavy duty diesel (dino) oils such as Rotella 15-40 and synthetics provide slightly better cold shifting than standard non synthetic motorcycle oils. Car dino oils are the worst, YMMV.

-- Clutch adjustment (free play) is per manual specs so that clutch can fully engage. Make sure your pinky, signal housing, grip, etc. are not interfering with clutch lever travel.

-- Make sure your shift linkage is clean (thanks RandyO).

-- Start in neutral and allow 15-30 seconds of warm-up before trying to shift into first. Then take it easy on the RPMs and shifting for 1-2 minutes to allow the engine and oil to fully reach operating temperature.

-- On the first shift after starting, walk the bike forward so you are moving forward as you shift. This will smooth the shift into first.

-- Hard shifting is normal when the oil is cold.
I've had my oil to the top of the glass for about 3K now with no ill effects. Shifting is smooth all be it a bit notchy but I like that. Reason: I was told by some racers (here) that the oil level to the top of the glass will not hurt, if anything it helps a bit (cooling etc.), esspecially on the first gen with the oil pickup being foreward and low. Not sure on the 2nd gen.

Grav.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
grav-- Yep yep. Absolutely, the oil level has an effect on cooling.

Personally, I have a "sweet spot" just over the 'L' mark (about 1/3 of the way up) that I have found is the best compromise between smoothest shifting and full oil cooling in my trusty 1st gen.

To be honest, I have only had issues with hard shifting due to overfilling only when hovering near the 'F' mark. Chances are in Shinobi's case it is the clutch adjustment or linkage issue combined with the cold oil. I only mention the oil level as a possible contributing factor. My money would be on the clutch adjustment...

The other reason I go to great lengths to avoid overfilling is the potential for oil blowback into the air cleaner element. I did that once early on and it took some doing to get that puppy clean again... :x

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys.. i really think that's it's only because of a cold start 'cause i tried it out yesterday and it was smooth. i rolled the bike back and forth a bit. and i've always started from neutral (it's a habit from MSF)

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts