Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i haven't ridden my bike for a night and come to it the morning or the after noon. it will start just fine but when i start pulling away and have released the clutch the bike will make a metallic CLICK or CLUNK. like a chain grabbing tension for the rear wheel or for the valve train. it is unable to be reproduced afterwards until the bike has sat for the night. the bike was horribly taken care of for the first 5k miles and possibly was in an accident (not a rebuilt title) recently got new tires (possibly chain to tight). just wanted to get your guys opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I experience this occasionally as well just before the clutch is fully released. I do not feel that the clunk comes from the tires but rather the engine. I can feel the clunk quite well in the frame of the bike. I fear it is coming from the engine. Hopefully I can find something during the valve check next month.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The clutch basket could and can make noises that you can hear and feel if it is getting really loose. If you can't find anything else externally, you might pull the cover and check to see how loose the basket has become. Especially if the bike has been ridden hard, the baskets seem to have a limited lifespan...but happily they are fixable.

Oh...just thought about it: The clutch basket drive gear on the crank can have the nut holding it on loosen. This (from reading, never had it myself) makes quite the racket as it rubs on the basket...but the gear can move back and forth as load is applied to it. If I were someone with a strange noise inside the engine...I'd pull the clutch cover PRONTO and check things out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

have the same problem, you can feel the click (sounds like metal on metal) troughout the frame upon releasing the clutch gently.

Problem occurs with my bike when the chain is not sufficiently lubricated.
Problem dissapears right after chain (cleaning and) lubrication which I do once a week.

I do about 400 kms a week.

Maybe this helps.

Gr. Mayo

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had what I believe was a similar problem, I thought it was the clutch going out. Turned out to be the chain had streched way too far and was skipping a tooth on the rear sproket every couple of revolutions. Dangerous, but an easy fix (new chain). Remember all that touque is terrible for chains!

·
Registered
238 Posts
you may want to pull your clutch slave and make sure its not covered in crap. if your clutch basket springs happen to be loose you could be hearing the spring tension forcing the clutch plate back onto the spool. this usually only happens if someone has previously pulled the clutch basket.

last time i had a chain at the wrong tension it made a screaching noise when releasing the clutch handle. metal on metal sound could be a REALLY loose chain slapping the snot outta the rear exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I came upon this thread last night. When I went out to go to work this morning, my '04 SV1000 exactly what the OP is describing. First time I've heard/felt it. Weird.

RecoilRob's explanation sounds most likely. It's a LOUD vibration, but it only happens once.

·
Registered
698 Posts
When i haven't ridden my bike for a night and come to it the morning or the after noon. it will start just fine but when i start pulling away and have released the clutch the bike will make a metallic CLICK or CLUNK. like a chain grabbing tension for the rear wheel or for the valve train. it is unable to be reproduced afterwards until the bike has sat for the night. the bike was horribly taken care of for the first 5k miles and possibly was in an accident (not a rebuilt title) recently got new tires (possibly chain to tight). just wanted to get your guys opinion.
Curious, have there been any new developments regarding this problem? Just wondering if you've discovered anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts