Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have an enduro modified 2006 SV650
Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Car Adventure
that recently began to intermittently trigger its oil pressure light when braking for stop or intersection. As you imagine it is a little irritating walking my bike through the intersection while "stalled" and other drivers wait for me to pass. grrrrr!

Initially upon inspection when this started a couple weeks ago my oil level was a slightly low in the sight glass so I temporarily topped up oil but have since changed oil and filter which has solved 95% of the issue.

My bike starts, runs smooth and purrs along, however if I have to hard brake to avoid other drivers or sudden situations the oil pressure light still (rarely) comes on and kills the engine which would not be good if I need to then accelerate to avoid danger. Capische??

It bakes my noodle because brake hydraulics and oil pressure are completely separate systems.

Oh and yes I hard brake/avoid with my clutch lever in so its not like I am a newbie stalling my engine. Once killed the oil light stays on and won't restart unless I cycle ignition power off then on. (Won't simply restart by pushing the trigger) Rarely it needs to be cycled 2X or more.

Thanks gang, any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-Kunzie

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like it's either an actual oil pressure problem or a pressure sensor failure. I'd check the wiring to and from the sensor first. If no obvious issues an oil pressure test is in order. If the pressures are within specifications I would change the sensor out.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Oil light may be a bit of a red herring. It will come on if the engine is stopped and the ignition is on. The oil pressure switch does not by itself have the ability to stop the engine--otherwise, you'd never be able to start it in the first place!

My guess is your tipover switch is out of place or doesn't like the angle it's at now that the bike is modified. When you jam on the brakes, it thinks the bike has fallen over and kills things.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oil light may be a bit of a red herring. It will come on if the engine is stopped and the ignition is on. The oil pressure switch does not by itself have the ability to stop the engine--otherwise, you'd never be able to start it in the first place!

My guess is your tipover switch is out of place or doesn't like the angle it's at now that the bike is modified. When you jam on the brakes, it thinks the bike has fallen over and kills things.
That makes more sense. I thought there was some sort of kill switch connected to the oil pressure switch based on his description. That would probably save a lot of SV motors killed by oil starvation riding prolonged wheelies if it were.
Maybe oil change decreasing occurrence was a coincidence?

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
It would be very complicated to wire a pressure switch that could do different things based on whether the engine was running or not when it detected low oil pressure. Like I said, there is no oil pressure before you start the bike, so it can't be a simple no oil pressure = no run. Similarly, there will be no oil pressure when the engine stops running, as if it stalled or if you hit the kill switch, so the light will come on then, too. It doesn't mean that no oil pressure is the cause of the stall. Rather, low oil pressure light is a result of the stall.

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
Yeah, most likely the Tip Over Sensor as GC said. Does this bike have an aftermarket rear shock with a hacked battery box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it's either an actual oil pressure problem or a pressure sensor failure. I'd check the wiring to and from the sensor first. If no obvious issues an oil pressure test is in order. If the pressures are within specifications I would change the sensor out.
Thanks TeeRiver, I was/am thinking much the same and will be spending some time on that in the next couple days. Last 2 weeks kinda got away from me 'round here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the recommendation; however the bike has 4000+ kms on it since modification without any issues of tipover switch etc.

If anything though, I think you are correct about the red herring aspect as I now realize that the oil light is on due to a simple stall and oil pump no longer pressuring the system -- hence the light is a symptom not indicator of cause. Today I will be checking some standard service items such as air filter, fuel filter, spark plug etc to see if the engine is starving for some reason but still boggles me why primarily on a moderate to strong brake situation. I will also be checking the battery and electrical voltage status if somehow the current draw from brake lights somehow drops it below operating voltage of the engine but this is likely a bit of a stretch.

Now that life has gotten back to (mostly) normal around here I have time to get back to this question of mine.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation; however the bike has 4000+ kms on it since modification without any issues of tipover switch etc.

If anything though, I think you are correct about the red herring aspect as I now realize that the oil light is on due to a simple stall and oil pump no longer pressuring the system -- hence the light is a symptom not indicator of cause. Today I will be checking some standard service items such as air filter, fuel filter, spark plug etc to see if the engine is starving for some reason but still boggles me why primarily on a moderate to strong brake situation. I will also be checking the battery and electrical voltage status if somehow the current draw from brake lights somehow drops it below operating voltage of the engine but this is likely a bit of a stretch.

Now that life has gotten back to (mostly) normal around here I have time to get back to this question of mine.

Thanks for your time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts