Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody dealt with these before ?

It cost $40 and I can get it locally so I am tempted...

Any opinions ?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Bunch of people have them and seem to be happy. Someone mentioned that he changed out the bolts to make it stronger. Looks ok to me..never allow anyone to put weight on the bike when its on the stand, regardless of stands. Good luck

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I use this every week, but bought the swingarm paddles as the bracket that comes with it does not mate to my spools. I used my own nuts and bolts on the stand assembly because the ones in the package were not cast well (obvious defects).
Barry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use this every week, but bought the swingarm paddles as the bracket that comes with it does not mate to my spools. I used my own nuts and bolts on the stand assembly because the ones in the package were not cast well (obvious defects).
Barry
The spool adapter that comes with the stand is not big enough to accommodate the a regular size spool ?

So are you using swing arm pads adapters instead, can you exchange it ?

They also have this type, now I don't know which to get ?

This type can be use for the front as well with different adapters, maybe this will be a better investment and looks better built, one solid piece of steel pipe...

I called the store and they say they have two in stock so I am going to pick one up today.

google search, some people said the stand is too low and won't lift wheel too high, also it doesn't work with bikes that have too wide tires on the back, there seems to be some limitations...

I will measure my SV and I will take a spool with me to make sure its going to work, but $40 and available locally, can't beat it...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The low profile stand works fine on the rear with the swingarm paddles, which are only a couple bucks. The stand is low, so you have to mount the paddles in their highest position (you can choose between L and inverted, L, you must invert or cannot turn the wheel to lube the chain or get the air valve where you need it), and the stand is wide enough to accommodate the SV.
The spool holders in the picture are sized to take something not much bigger than a bolt, and I considered just threading an 8mm into the swingarm to lift it, but I decided I liked the paddles, and I have the spools on anyway.
Now I'm waiting for my frame sliders, which don't seem to be easy on an 08S
Barry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried but did not like...

Well,

Those Harbor Freight stores are really crazy... Nothing is in the right place.

Both of the local stores shows 2 spool stands on stock but there are no where to be found.

Out of frustration I got the one they did have in stock, the non-spool type and I really liked the built quality but it doesn't work well for the SV.

The stand pads land right under the wheel align braket so I was not able to adjust chain or remove the tire while the bike rest on the stand pads.

Maybe if I create my own spool adapters it could work, but that is more then I want to get involve. The local dealer has the Pitbull for $144 and some other off brand for $70, I will take a hike there today to go check them out.

Another thing I noticed with the Harbor Freight pad stand, is that in order to lift the bike, I need a helper to hold the bike straight, I guess this can not be a one man operation or am I missing some kind of trick...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I slip a 2x4 under the kickstand before lifting the bike, that brings it pretty close to straight up. When I put the bike down, I use one hand on the stand, one hand on the grab rail to ensure the bike leans in the right way as I lower. Once you get used to it, it is a one person operation.
Barry

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Re: I tried but did not like...

Another thing I noticed with the Harbor Freight pad stand, is that in order to lift the bike, I need a helper to hold the bike straight, I guess this can not be a one man operation or am I missing some kind of trick...
I'm old and I put mine up on the stand by myself! ;D
Stand in right hand.....left hand on the grab rail on the bike.....slide the stand close to where it needs to be....stand the bike up with your left hand.....slide the stand under the spools and push down on the stand while pulling back on the bike.....to put it down just do all that in reverse.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

I'm old and I put mine up on the stand by myself! ;D
Stand in right hand.....left hand on the grab rail on the bike.....slide the stand close to where it needs to be....stand the bike up with your left hand.....slide the stand under the spools and push down on the stand while pulling back on the bike.....to put it down just do all that in reverse.
It never occurred to me that this was tricky... I bet you guys took off your grab bars. I just straddle the stand and rear wheel, hold the bike upright by the grab bar and put the stand into position with my foot and step on it to raise the bike. The spools sort of catch everything into the right place; with paddles it would be more of a pain.

Edit: I have the HF stand. It is MUCH less crappy than you'd think. Seem very solid. If you have nates swingarm sliders, the derlin bit winds up resting on the top of the stand between the two screws instead of the spool part but it doesn't appear to be an issue.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

I bet you guys took off your grab bars.

Bingo! I betcha' that is where the problem lies.....

Edit: I have the HF stand. It is MUCH less crappy than you'd think. Seem very solid. If you have nates swingarm sliders, the derlin bit winds up resting on the top of the stand between the two screws instead of the spool part but it doesn't appear to be an issue.

I also have this stand and for the $32 it cost it is by far the best "bang-for-the-buck" that I've spent on the SV yet.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Bingo! I betcha' that is where the problem lies.....

I also have this stand and for the $32 it cost it is by far the best "bang-for-the-buck" that I've spent on the SV yet.
You must not have a cramp buster. Best $10 I've spent on my SV. By far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DanteD, Sv of the month for April is using this stand.
Well, I have one of these on order, the HF warehouse has 50 in stock and the local store ordered one for me, it should be here this Thursday...

This weekend I was able to use a loaner stand, the Vortex and it is very impressive. It is bulky and solid, with a large handle bar that makes it handling the bike more secure I think.

I was able to load up the bike twice without any issues all by myself, it was tricky and scary but I did it.

I have not seen the HF in person but I think it might be lacking a bit of handle bar size for handling the bike up and down, but at a 1/3 of the price one should not complaint.

I also tried loading the bike on the trailer for the first time just to make sure it fits and it did...

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight roller stand for cleaning, chain maintenance and its the best thing since sliced bread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts