Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a Harbor Freight Rear Stand (the low profile boxed aluminum one) in stock and picked one up today. Before people say how cheap it is and to buy a good rear stand, I know, Ive heard it already. I will say that the stand is pretty decent and only cost $40. I did replace all of the hardware with 8.8 bolts.

My question is: Is anyone using this rear stand with Motosliders swingarm sliders with spools? My problem is that the hooks grab the spools well and feels very sturdy lifting the rear, but when the bike is fully up it rests on the slider part and not on the spools. It is still very stable, but has anyone done anything to correct this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
wow, H.F. has a rear stand?? I have a few HF tools and they've all stood up very well. I have the motorcycle jack, the sawzall and the chop saw and they've all taken a beating and are still in service today. Ill definitely check out the HF rear stand.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I've been using mine for a few months and it's been nice and sturdy so far. I'm using DougZ swingarm sliders and the bike ends up resting on those instead of the spools when on the stand. The hooks still are around the spools though so the bike doesn't go anywhere. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I have the swingarm spools from motosliders and the rear stand from HF too...I'm not really sure what you mean, but I have no problems with them. I'm really happy with the stand and spools...it holds the bike steady while lifting/lowering and while the bike is on stand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I picked up an HF stand, too. I use the Fox Racing spools, which are made of Delverin. I'm going to have to open up the "hooks" in the stand because the spools have a rather thick diameter. So teh spools don't go all the way down into the hooks.

That said the bikes seems very stable on the stand at it is. I do notice one thing. When I turn the front wheel the rear stand sure flexes. But for $40 I guess I can't ***** too much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I am not too worried about it as it is still sturdy but the bottom of the slider rests on the top of the arm. I am only using it for maintenance so no big deal. For those who did not know about the stand, read the other thread, this is a great deal and Ive been calling H.F. for 2 weeks waiting for them to be off of backorder. Like I said, I replaced all the hardware just to be safe. I would hate to see it fail because of a $.89 bolt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have no problems, you can move the arms on the stand to make it fit right by loosening the allen bolts... BTW a friend hoped on my bike with it on the stand. no bolts replaced, and it held up just fine! its not a bad stand.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I use the same stand, but lift the bike with the swingarm paddles, which had to be adjusted for width, while I wait for my new spools to show up. I replaced 2 of the bolts that came with the kit due to imperfections in the bolts (one of them was unusable), otherwise the stand seems to be OK, and is certainly light enough and stable enough for my needs.
Given the number of hex fittings on the SV, I also got a metric set of hex drivers that go on my ratchet set for ease of use.
Barry

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I've been using mine for a few months and it's been nice and sturdy so far. I'm using DougZ swingarm sliders and the bike ends up resting on those instead of the spools when on the stand. The hooks still are around the spools though so the bike doesn't go anywhere. I wouldn't worry about it.
yeah, mine do that too with one of my stands..not the other...its due to how deep the groove is in the bobbin lift part.

I had thought about using a smaller OD delrin rod, but at the end of the day, the larger OD is more material, which will obviously be better in a crash situation. Its a larger OD than the competition, and for a cheaper price..so I kept the design the way it is.

If anyone wants a smaller OD puck...just let me know, I'd be glad to make some up for ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts