Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had a good answer but my hands fall a sleep after just 30 to 45 minutes. I have to flex and stretch them to keep them usable. Is this common or does someone have a good answer?

Fred

·
Registered
115 Posts
I felt the same a few days ago. I have carpal tunnel, so that makes my hands hurt. Easiest to keep moving your fingers, to make sure the blood circulation is good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Happens to me sometimes too. I found out if you loosen up your grip a little and not death grip the bars it helps alot.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i'd say look into padded palms on gloves, and consciously take the weight off your wrists. i do this by watching my posture (making sure my lower back carries my weight) and by keeping my legs on the gas tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You might want to try crampbusters:

http://www.crampbuster.com/

They are inexpensive ($10) and really help relieve the hand/wrist/finger aches and fatigue on longer rides. You can use them for both hands. I used them on a 1900km trip last summer and they were great. I don't like to use them in town, or where the road requires a lot of shifting and braking as they can get in the way a bit. However, they easily rotate out of the way for those situations.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you have bar ends they are suppost to help you reduce the vibration in the bars and also the gloves can help, if you buy thicker golves then your hand wont go numb as fast. Lossen that grip also.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It happens to me when I haven't been out riding in a while, like during monsoon season or when it's cold outside. After a week or two of more riding it doesn't happen any more.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
It's the death grip. After the new-ness of the SV wears off, I got used to my bike and stopped death-gripping it.

tk

·
Registered
155 Posts
your putting to much weight on your wrists. Support your body with your core muscles. You should have little to no pressure on your wrists and hands.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
My gloves were the problem, I had a pair of A* shorts and my thumb & index finger would go numb in about 30minutes. Switched to A* guantlets and the problem went away. Wife had the same issue, but figured out it was her death grip on the bars before corners. Learned to relax and problem went away as well.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
My hands went numb too....untill i figured out i had poor riding posture....

Upper body weight should not rest on the wrists....you should be able to wiggle your elbows up and down quickly without your upper body moving....

Hold the upper body up with the core muscles and you will be fine...plus its better riding technique and will make ridiing in general more fun and comfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My hands fell asleep the other day but it was because of the shoulder armor in my leathers. Is your jacket restricting when you lean forward? Make sure there are no creases or folds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
could be carpal tunnel.. My hands usually fall asleep about the same time you said.. I just shake them out and they come back and stay pretty good...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your help - the crampbuster looks like a good option. When you flex your fingers is is easy to loose control of the throtle.

Fred

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I find when my hands are going numb/falling a sleep I am gripping the bars too tightly or I put too much weight on my hands.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I had trouble with that happening to me. The solution was to rotate the bars back towards me just a little. Solved the problem completely. Its free so it doesn't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my index middle and thumb on my left hand loose circulation if I am on the freeway and not moving. I have to take my hand off the handle and move my shoulder around to get the blood flowing again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for your help - the crampbuster looks like a good option. When you flex your fingers is is easy to loose control of the throtle.

Fred
You should be able to wiggle your fingers at constant speed with no problem. You might also try shifting your seat position more. I go from up on the tank to back against the cowl. I usually ride back at speed and slide forward when I am doing something like tailing a car that needs my attention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts