Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody:
I'm a motorcycle rookie, been riding my SV650 for over two months now and loving it. My body....nooot so much. Kinda aching all over and been trying to figure out why. At the beginning had the death grip going for a while and was pretty darn tense...been working on that and my posture and I definitely am more relaxed. But I feel that I would like to sit up more straight to relief my back and wrists and raising up the handlebar for that. Has anyone of you done that on their 2008 SV naked? Do I have to reroute and or change cables to do that?

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help...

Zwanzig

·
Registered
850 Posts
Before you do that, I'd suggest this: Work on holding yourself up mostly with your legs. 1) Grip the tank with your knees, and 2) the lower bike with your heels/ankles. 3) Put weight on your feet to help hold yourself up also (instead of just "resting" them on the pegs)

Tank grips help with #1 A LOT. you can get some great cheap one's from Big Hammer on this site ($25).

Naked bike's are already pretty upright. You could also scoot a bit more forward on the seat, depending on how you're sitting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advise Muskrat, Im already doing most of the things you suggested, but I will try to sit more forward and put more weight on my feet...now for the stupid question...what good does a tankgrip do?

Thanks

Z

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for your advise Muskrat, Im already doing most of the things you suggested, but I will try to sit more forward and put more weight on my feet...now for the stupid question...what good does a tankgrip do?

Thanks

Z
It's basically a rubber compound "pad" that you stick to your tank. Basically the friction between your leg and the pad is greater then between your leg and the tank metal, so you have to apply less force (less effort) to hold yourself stable on the bike with you knee's.

They vary in style. The basic pads Hammer suppliers are waterjet cut from a roll of material with an adhesive backing. Other's are more stylized and injection molded. These tend to cost more though (more like $50).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd totally agree with Muskrat - raising the handlebars isn't the answer (I found out the expensive way).

Beyond tank pads to help your knees lock to the tank, and riding with the balls of your feet on the foot pegs, I found that narrowing the seat a bit and putting some middle bias into it helped considerably. I sent my seat to Spencer here http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

1 - 6 of 6 Posts