Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading these threads for a while about handlebar conversions, i have a 2001 sv650s which i`d like to convert from clipons to handlebars , i`ve understood most of it except no-one on here talks about the bars cacthing on the windscreen , is this not a problem or is there a solution if it is a problem?

and wheres the best place to buy parts in the UK?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided i would try the Helibars first , then i`ll think about comfort bars , picked up a set of Helibars from Ebay so will try them as soon as they arrive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll be doing a handlebar mod on my 2002 svS in a few weeks - if you haven't done it by then, I'll let you know how it fits with the stock windscreen! P.S. I'm using a stock naked handlebar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be doing a handlebar mod on my 2002 svS in a few weeks - if you haven't done it by then, I'll let you know how it fits with the stock windscreen! P.S. I'm using a stock naked handlebar.
Good man , plenty of photo`s , did you try Heli`s ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used flat drag bars, since I didn't change the throttle cables. I put taller handlebars on my Hayabusa & had to trim the windscreen. I taped the area w/blue painters tape & used a dremel. Draw it out on the tape 1st and try to go slow. After I sanded the edges, you can't tell it was even cut. The sv switch controls lightly hit the windscreen slightly at full lock & was not worth trimming.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used flat drag bars, since I didn't change the throttle cables. I put taller handlebars on my Hayabusa & had to trim the windscreen. I taped the area w/blue painters tape & used a dremel. Draw it out on the tape 1st and try to go slow. After I sanded the edges, you can't tell it was even cut. The sv switch controls lightly hit the windscreen slightly at full lock & was not worth trimming.
Is it possible that different handlebars would prevent these issues? Higher, lower, , more pullback, ect?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have an 01 sv650s and are looking to swap to clip-ons... have regular bars now... how about a trade straight across everything i need from you and everything you need from me wnd all it will cost us is shipping??? Got pics??

Sent from my MB855 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I also have an 01 sv650s and are looking to swap to clip-ons... have regular bars now... how about a trade straight across everything i need from you and everything you need from me wnd all it will cost us is shipping??? Got pics??

Just remember once you get rid of your top triple you won't have anywhere to mount your gauge cluster. The N top triple mounts the gauges. You would have to purchase a mount from Aztec8 or make your own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

pm sent :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
98 Posts
^^ That's the way to do it! If I hadn't just bought all the OEM parts myself 4 days ago, I'd have been all over this! Hope it works out!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Trade with a N rider. Then buy some Mid Rise Renthals, 3" longer front brake lines SS from SV racing parts (HUGE props for helping me out on my gsxr swap) and be done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don`t think the trades gonna work , too much distance between us ,

i just bought Helibar clipons and ss front brake lines so we`ll see how that goes .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thought about the Helibar clipons for a while and have decided to go for the comfort bars , at one point i was going to change to a bandit , but decided the grief i would have to listen too from her indoors made me knock that on the head , i`ll post up pics when i`m finished , in the meantime the clipons are on Ebay for sale .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-sv...087207&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&#ht_671wt_882

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right i have my comfort kit and need help , anybody know where to get bar ends for the Renthal bars , looking for very short bar ends as the bars are wide enough ?,
any ideas on the brake reservoir attachment?
and does the original clutch work alright ?
could do with pics of rerouting cables if anyone has any , please .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I flipped the brake reservoir attachment upside down and mounted it using the screw for the top clamp of the master cylinder. I used a longer clutch cable - the stock N cable worked fine (I think the stock clutch cable was just a bit too tight when the handlebars were at full lock).

If you read the thread below carefully, you'll see how to mount the master cylinder and you'll also get great suggestions for routing cables - basically moving them around the forks.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72804&highlight=finaly+detailed

Also, if you haven't gotten to it yet, my windscreen needed to have the extra little tabs on the sides taken off (I used a dremel to cut off around 2 inches worth, and then polished it with a dremel polishing wheel).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers , rerouted throttle cables to outside forks , clutch not bad , new brake cables and need to cut screen , what i did notice was the CNC comfort yoke is about 10mm thinner than the original , so i`m putting a spacer under it , all looks good at minute lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts