Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a bent handlebar and I'm trying to find one on ebay. I was wondering if there are any other makes/models that are compatible with the 2001 sv650 handlebar (not clip ons). For instance there's a 2001 bandit 1200 handlebar which looks like it might fit except it seems to sit lower than the SV one, which is a bit too low for my height as it is.

Any comments on this will be appreciated. (I will also post a want ad on this forum).

Thanks.

Oktay

N

·
0 Posts
The Bandit bar will fit and clear the tank; it's almost identical to the SVs, maybe a little lower and with a little more angle.

Bikemaster bars go for $10-$25 and your dealer can order them from the Tucker Rocky catalog, or you get get them yourself from a number of online sources. Be careful: swapping bars is too easy and too cheap- you'll end up with a box full of handlebars, just like me!

:)

N

·
0 Posts
It's not much help, but I've used the Clubman bars (A) -feels great, but hurts all at the same time- and the drag bar (F) -much sportier than stock, but very close to the gas tank at full lock.

I think either the superbike or GP touring is close to stock, with the superbike probably getting the nod.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can you explain what you meant about the clubman bars. I'm also wanting to change bars. SM type 1s seem cool but $165 is alot of loot for something I might not dig.

N

·
0 Posts
The Clubmans are really low, lower than clip ons and a little more forward. You feel as though you are steering directly from the front axle which is a lot of fun where there's curves but murder on the highway. For a race bike or short range toy they'd be fine but I ride every day and it was sucking the fun out of it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I see, that will steer me clear of the clubmans then. I'm 6'3 so I'm wondering if the SM type 1's would be a good choice. Any like-sized guys have any experience with them?

N

·
0 Posts
Don't know about the Daytonas, sorry. I bought black drag bars but the finish wasn't very durable -it was either just paint or really poor PC- so they got scarred pretty quickly. Chrome plating is tough!

N

·
0 Posts
They looked great! The black contrasts well with the brushed Aluminum finish on the bar clamps and triples.

·
Registered
280 Posts
acedeluxe said:
I see, that will steer me clear of the clubmans then. I'm 6'3 so I'm wondering if the SM type 1's would be a good choice. Any like-sized guys have any experience with them?
I'm 6'2" and just put on SM type 1's. I like em. They come pretty close to the tank but don't touch. I do like the riding position better. With my long arms I sat really upright using the stock bars. The SM's give me a little more forward lean. They don't bother my wrists, but I haven't been on a long ride with them yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those prices are CRAZY! And those first bars look extreme. I don't think I would like them being so far down! That's like a 6" drop from stock!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
overtorqued said:
I'm 6'2" and just put on SM type 1's.  I like em.  They come pretty close to the tank but don't touch.  I do like the riding position better.  With my long arms I sat really upright using the stock bars.  The SM's give me a little more forward lean.  They don't bother my wrists, but I haven't been on a long ride with them yet.
do they fold your legs up in a weird way? seems like it would screw up the leg positioning too?

·
Registered
280 Posts
acedeluxe said:
do they fold your legs up in a weird way? seems like it would screw up the leg positioning too?
No, my legs are pretty much unaffected. It just feels like it would if you bent your elbows a little more than usual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts