Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of biker-types using handsignals -partly because they've removed their unfashionable turn signals, partly because "real" bikers do it- and I've always suspected that most drivers have no clue what they mean, particularly the one for "stop". Many states have even dropped them from their DL test completely. Do drivers in your area have a clue about them?

Stopping/ slowing:

Left turn:

Right turn:

:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
my dad taught em to me when i was a kid, and since then ive seen maaaaaaaybe 5 bicyclists use them in the past ~20 years, never seen a motorcyclist use em.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I used them when I had no signals and a buddy started waving at me at a light and when I asked what he was doing he said "Hazards"

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have buell blinkers what are about as visible as as the stock blinks, maybe a little more so...but the only time I use hand signals is for L and R turn in heavy traffic if I don't think people are paying attention. I think your body movement helps draw attention to you, and people know you are going to do something (even if they don't know WTF the signals mean)...therefore making the lane change a little safer. That said use signals less than 1% of the time.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
we use them all the time on our group rides. i never use them when i'm riding alone, other than to maybe point into the lane i'm moving into

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
my 1940 Dodge has no turn signals (never did). I use the hand signals when driving it around the city... I too often wonder if anyone knows what I'm doing "with my arm out the window"

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Most of the time when I'm switching lanes on the highway I don't signal, but when I'm in traffic or riding w/others I use hand signals- I don't know if drivers understand what I'm doing or not. I have no rear blinkers that's why I use hand signals.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use hand signals when the sun is on my back.  We also use a laundry list of signals for group rides.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
People give me hand signals all the time.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I live in MD where people don't even know how to use the signals on thier cars, I seriously doubt they would have a clue what the hand signals mean.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Edit, I was just waking up lol.

That would be sun in my face.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I use hand signals when I am riding ahead of Stu although I always get right turn and stop confused, so I am not sure he ever knows what I am doing. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I seriously doubt cagers here would know what i was doing. I use just the regular blinkers... thats enough to get down for now. Im sure after i have more experience i might use the slowing and stopping ones.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use them frequently but just for the left and right turns because I have no front blinkers. A lot of people think I am waving at them when I give the right turn signal so I doubt they are very effective, but you never know the one time it will be worth it...

-josh

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use them in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When group riding, we use them. The main reason is so if someone isn't paying total attention, he doesn't rear end the bike in front.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hand signals- yeah, I never knew they existed until i started riding with groups. I was like, why is he doing his arms like that and all. Now, i know them. We use pretty much all of them except the stop one which the brake light does. When i'm alone, I never use signals hand or bike unless I am nervous.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For other riders, mostly to signal road hazards, and on a motorcycle that's usually a leg signal. Also the hand out when slowing significantly.

For car drivers, when changing lanes in traffic because you know they aren't looking at my stock blinkers (and usually only pointing with the left hand, which is unmistakable), and when slowing significantly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would agree that maybe cagers probably don't know the hand signals. However, I believe they were on the motorcycle permit test when I got my M endorsement in NY state. Other states may vary. I use them for lane changes in heavy traffic. I find that even though I have stock turn signals and use them regularly, a hand catches more attention than my signals.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think you forgot one. The middle finger can come in handy too. :p :eek: ;D

Grav.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts