Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody -

I just got my tank, tail, and rear hugger coated in black bedliner by my local Line-X shop. When I got home, I used some stencils and acrylic paint and drybrushed a suzuki S logo on there.

I left the tank pad on before it got coated, I think that turned out awesome.

Let me hear the ups and downs...I haven't painted the other side just yet...probably will in an hour or two as the motivation strikes me.

All of these parts are going back on the bike as soon as my new tail light arrives from cirsory :) (Along with vapor gauge, new dual PIAA headlights, chopped vance and hines exhaust w/ black header wrap, and more...)

·
Registered
97 Posts
That looks pretty cool, I like the pad there too. The logo looks nice, but is the paint going to stay?

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
:eek:the pad is too high....
nice job on the S

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot guys. The pad was mounted a little high close to the gas cap....but this was done by a previous owner and I decided to leave at as it was rather than try to scrape the atomic glue it had underneath it off. I'm taping up the other side right now for the other S...the final paint effect is a bit drybrushed but I think it blends better with the line-x than a straight 100%color paint would.

As for phox's concern...I have purchased a can of Testors Model Master semi-gloss lacquer overcoat which I have pre-tested on the underside of my rear tire hugger. It sprays on over the acrylic paint with minimal difference from the existing sheen, so it should serve as a good light protective coating...I just may have to re-do it every once and a while.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just noticed that in the first pic it looks like the tank pad is overlapping the gas cap hole...it's just the angle. It is actually a solid 1/2" away from the whole, as can be seen lightly in the other pics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the second S logo looks great. I guess practice makes perfect heh? haha well I had fun. The tail light is supposed to be in on Thursday so look for pics of the completed project this weekend...

Thanks for the support guys!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as far as the clear goes....I guess I'll find out over time! I'm just going to put a very lite coat on...misting from 18" or so. I'll come back over it every 3 mos or so to keep it up but I don't want to lay it too thick otherwise I think the finish would be quite different from the rest of the line-x.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Nice, but I don't think that clearcoat you have planned will be fuel-resistant. Be carefull when you gas up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
YES!! Finally someone else has gone the bedliner route besides me. Nice job! Here is mine done up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks nice Shawn. Your tank pad looks the same as mine pretty much. Good s***. I also like the bedliner'ed over suzuki S symbols. How far did they stick off the tank before you got it sprayed? Also, did you go rhino line, line-x, home-style rattlecan or what?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Suzuki S symbols were the originals on the tank and the tank pad was the suzuki aftermarket carbon fiber piece. I sprayed it with armacoatings which was the first hot spray in the industry and line-x is actually a branch from the original armacoatings they use to be called arma-x but then got in legal trouble and switched it to line-x. I have been an applicator for about 5 years now and have done a bunch of wierd stuff in addition to 3,000 or so truck beds, but this is my most favorite application by far. I am glad someone else saw what a great finish these products make. Can't wait to see your bike put together!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, I really like the look of the bedliner. I've thought about doing matte black, but I like the more rugged texture of the bedliner. How much was it to get it sprayed at a shop? I wouldn't want to do it out of a can, it seems like it wouldn't look very good.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts