Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a gsxr shock from svraceshop. Its ending up being a bit more adventure installing it than I originally expected. First trial was figuring a way to lift the rear of the bike. No exposed ceiling, no ladder, but I eventually figuring out that I could use my rear stand to hoist it up and set the rear pegs on a set of jack stands. not the most stable setup, but it worked.
Next getting to the shock was a royal PITA. I ended up taking off the entire rear subframe to go it. Upside is when it was time to lift the old shock out, it was cake.
The dog bones were the biggest problem. I got the nuts off the bolts, but I couldnt make the bolts side out without sliding the bearing with them. After much swearing, I finally figured out that if I relived the weight of the wheel, it was alot easier.
Getting the new shock in itself was pretty cake. Slide one out, and the new one dropped in. Its quite a bit larger than the old one.
Hooking up the dogs again was a trial, but same deal with getting the weight off the wheel helped alot.
Just hooked those up, put it back on the rear stand and bounced on it a few times to see if it was binding. Everything seems good.
Had to stop there, but Ill probably put the tail back together tomarrow night, or saturday.

Any helpful hints for the battery box?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Damm! I must say that sounds like wayyyy too much work. I just put mine in a couple days ago and was much simpler than had thought. I work in a shop so i used the car lift to hold the ass end up by the grab bar. I never had to take off the tail at all. Took the battery out....undid the top shock bolt and it dropped the swingarm down far enuf to get to the bottom shock bolt without removing any dogbones. New one went in fairly easy. I eyeballed the batt box and just took some off the front where it needed it...didnt even take the box out...cut it inframe. Put in the bottom shock bolt..slowly lowered the bike till the top shock bolt hole was even..tightened it all and was done! One thing I will say is be careful of the tip over sensor thats mounted on the front of the batt box. I cut off its mounting tab not knowing thats what it was and set the sensor out of the way had my bike die on me the next day. I just relocated it and mounted it to the frame so its all better now. The shock resivour barely touched the bottom of the battery so i just put the rubber mat back in the box so now it doesnt even touch the battery. The 1st gen must be alot harder to do this swap to cuz mine seemed much easier than what it had made out to be. Enjoy it when its all done! Night and day diff

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i've written here several times that its not necessary to remove the dog bones to remove a shock, i've done it 10 times in 5minutes. you must remove the upper shock bolt first, then you can move the swingarm up and down to gain access to the lower shock bolt. don't have to go through all that trouble. 8)

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's exactly how I always do it with a rearstand to get it lifted, then jack stands under the pegs. Lifting the rear wheel to the spot where there is no tension on the dogbones will allow those bolts to slide right out. We've done it trackside in less than 20 minutes at least 10 times now. However it's easier to do on a race bike with no undertail or battery box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
<sorry for the mini-hijack> Jarel - where do you guys mount the battery, ecu & wiring without the undertail and battery box/undertail? - jeff h

·
Registered
505 Posts
dynagroove said:
<sorry for the mini-hijack> Jarel - where do you guys mount the battery, ecu & wiring without the undertail and battery box/undertail? - jeff h
Depending upon which bike, a couple of them have the BRG battery box mounted up next to the left side of the engine and a couple have a small tray made of carbon fiber or titanium fabricated under the seat.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Kris87 said:
i've written here several times that its not necessary to remove the dog bones to remove a shock, i've done it 10 times in 5minutes. you must remove the upper shock bolt first, then you can move the swingarm up and down to gain access to the lower shock bolt. don't have to go through all that trouble. 8)
+1. I did mine a couple of weeks ago first time and didn't have to remove anything but the seat and side-frame covers. took a about 20 minutes (with an impact wrench) including cutting the tray and fitting the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts