Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at a crosswalk to let a pedestrian cross the street. Cager didn't stop and rear ended me when I was at a dead stop. Both me and the bike went down and slid. The only part of me that scraped the ground was my ankle but I was wearing boots and walked away unscathed ;D The SV wasn't so lucky.... Broken shifter, ****** up bars, possibly ****** up radiator, and hopefully not much else.

Luckily there were two other riders who happened to be walking by and helped me get my bike up and out of traffic while I was dazed

Oh yeah, and the driver already admitted fault so it's all insurance from here! :rock:

Here's to hoping I get the bike back quickly and without too much damage done...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. Best of luck with the insurance an all that.

Sent from my iEverything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah, and I just got my frame sliders in the mail today but put off installing them until tomorrow. d'oh!!!!! :facepalm:

here's a pic of his license plate forced into my tire

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Good to hear you're okay!

On a side note, I vote for a +1 internetz for the powerthirst reference.

·
MOTORADOR
10,969 Posts
Glad you're ok... and WOW about the tire!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dang! How fast do you think the driver was going when they hit you? Get yourself checked out just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang! How fast do you think the driver was going when they hit you? Get yourself checked out just to be on the safe side.
no idea. fast enough to cause a motorbike to slide a couple feet and scrape up some asphalt

glad to hear you are okay.

But you do know there is an easier way to get the dudes license plate number?
hahahahahaha :lmao:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Wow if the cager would have drove off you wouldn't have needed to get his license plate, it's stamped on your tire! Ah awesome. Glad to hear you're ok though, ATGATT FTW!!!

·
MOTORADOR
10,969 Posts
Wow if the cager would have drove off you wouldn't have needed to get his license plate, it's stamped on your tire!
I'm sure it was all planned. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Glad you escaped relatively unscathed. Go to the doctor and get yourself checked out and x-rayed. Make absolutely sure you are 100% before dealing with the other guy's insurance. They will want to close this claim as soon as possible, so if you develop any issues a few weeks later they won't cover the costs.

Did the other guy get a ticket and did the other riders/witnesses give a statement? This all helps make your case stronger and one-sided.

I had an accident where I wasn't at fault about 2 years ago now. They replaced the bike, gear, pain & suffering, etc. and I felt I was fairly compensated at the time. However, 3 months later I developed DeQuervain's tenosynovitis (basically tendonitis) in my left wrist where I braced for the fall. Of course my ins. claim was done and dusted so all of the visits, meds and general inability to use my left hand were my on my dime.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That pic of the license plate imprint on your tire ... epic, legendary, crazy awesome!

Glad you're doing well.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Another inattentive driver; at least they were honest and admitted fault.

Glad it wasn't worse. +1 on getting that foot/ankle x-rayed, and a general check-up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the input guys. This is the first accident I've EVER been in- car or motorcycle. A lot of this is brand new stuff for me to deal with and there's been a lot of good advice posted here that I had no idea about. I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
thanks for all the input guys. This is the first accident I've EVER been in- car or motorcycle. A lot of this is brand new stuff for me to deal with and there's been a lot of good advice posted here that I had no idea about. I appreciate it!!
Definitely drag out your check ups. I would make an appointment like 2 weeks from now and tell the insurance company they have to wait. That will give you time to see if anything shows up later. You dont want to settle before you are sure everything is fine. I had an accident last year where I broke my femur. I didnt realize I had done anything to my ankle for almost 6 months. Then, they found out I had 2 non-displaced fractures, bone bruising and sprained about every ligament in there. Its been a year and I am still having ankle problems. Dont rush this kind of thing and if you feel you are getting shafted at all, lawyer up.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
You can settle a proerty damage claim separately from an injury claim. So you can get your bike back up and running in a few weeks (days??) while still holding open the possibility of compensation for any bodily injuries.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's an update on this mess:

The numbers aren't officially added up yet but the insurance company is saying it's looking like it's going to be totaled. Huge bummer. Still early in the negotiation process so I'm not sure about how much the payout will be but I'm bummed that I've gotta look for a new bike at the same time that I'm looking for a new job as well. Ohhhh well.

On that note, anyone in northern CA selling an SV? :naughty: I'll be checking that for sale board obsessively!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts