Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know the rear end kicks out to the LEFT on the CBR1000RR when you treat the throttle like it's an SV650 throttle. Does this mean motorbikes can go faster around left hand corners as opposed to right hand corners? My hypothesis is that the gyroscopic effect will keep the rear planted when leaned left, and kick it up when leaned right. Just my thought, would love to hear yours.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could very well be making the wrong assumptions, but I was straight up and down at 5-10mph when I cracked the throttle, the rear went to the left HARD as it was spinning up.

Now I'm thinking the leftward lateral effect, if true, is only present during acceleration. But it may not be enough force to make a difference, even if it's a constant force.

I guess I could pick the bike up with a cherry picker to see what types of gyro forces are present.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I could very well be making the wrong assumptions, but I was straight up and down at 5-10mph when I cracked the throttle, the rear went to the left HARD as it was spinning up.
My money's on that just being a coincidence, probably initiated by the fact that you had a slight right hand countersteering in put goin on. I certainly can't imagine why that would have anything to do with gyroscopic effect.

To quote Shakespeare, "the rider doth thinketh too much, methinks."

You an engineer by any chance? ;)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I was just going to suggest something. If you apply the right hand rule to the chain (curl fingers in direction of travel then pop your thumb out), that would show the force going towards the left.

But I don't think there is enough to warrant a noticable shift. Going with Pete and saying you were slightly scewed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
:facepalm: Show me the math with a FBD to back up the lateral movement theory. You're def over thinking it. Chances are you were favoring one side over the other the slightest bit.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You an engineer by any chance? ;)
No, but I'm intrigued by the number of people who have asked me this throughout my life. That and "are you military"? Guess I should have been an Army Engineer.

I was just going to suggest something. If you apply the right hand rule to the chain (curl fingers in direction of travel then pop your thumb out), that would show the force going towards the left.

But I don't think there is enough to warrant a noticable shift. Going with Pete and saying you were slightly scewed.
I wiki'd the right hand rule, I'm still confused.

Go with the cherry picker!! and make sure you tape it!! :D
The most notable movement would be the rear droping downard, so I think we'd have to use a front and rear chain to prevent that from happening. Then we'd have to remove the throttle from the handle bar to minimize any interference when revving up. Maybe I'll just submit it to mythbusters. Ha.

:facepalm: Show me the math with a FBD to back up the lateral movement theory. You're def over thinking it. Chances are you were favoring one side over the other the slightest bit.
FBD? Free Body Diagram? Man, I feel like I just walked into a room full of engineers. Too many details, not enough intuition and imagination. Ha!

Other random thoughts: The load on the left hand sprocket, I would assume, would twist the axle in a way that would point the rear rightward, if at all. Opposite of my theory. Perhaps the profile of the tire has an effect? Obviously the slope of the road will play a factor as well. But still, if there is any lateral movement, it's probably not enough to make a difference. Would love to get into the HRC R&D playbook!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Misaligned rear wheel.
Yeah, that's a good idea. How do you know you've got it 100% perpendicular? I don't trust the swingarm markings. Plus, there has to be incredibly more pressure on the chain-side adjusters than the non-chain side. So even if you did have it perfect, once you hit the gas, it has to slightly point one way or the other, even if only very slightly.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah, that's a good idea. How do you know you've got it 100% perpendicular? I don't trust the swingarm markings. Plus, there has to be incredibly more pressure on the chain-side adjusters than the non-chain side. So even if you did have it perfect, once you hit the gas, it has to slightly point one way or the other, even if only very slightly.
I never trust just my tic marks for axle alignment. Ill get it in the ball park with the tic marker then measure thread exposed. Repeat. Anyone have better ways to perfectly align the axle?

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts

that's for electric, not kinetic

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I never trust just my tic marks for axle alignment. Ill get it in the ball park with the tic marker then measure thread exposed. Repeat. Anyone have better ways to perfectly align the axle?
Measuring tape. Measure from the center of the swingarm axle, to the pivoting point attached to the frame (center hole) Let's say is 21" on the right side, and 19 15/16" on the left, it means that your real wheel is 1/16 off, and it's pointing to the right.

For measuring accuracy, skip one inch where the metal lip of the measuring tape is, because it moves 1/16 of an inch to acommodate when you're pushing or pulling the measuring tape. So start at the 1" line that way there's no movement. then subtract one inch.

Also try to keep the tape as straight as possible. I think this is the most accurate way.

Good video from the "famous" green army SV :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
my 1krr doesn't kick either way when the back spins up...does loft the front end pretty easy tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts