Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new here, im Eric. i cam across this site out of desperation. i recently bought an sv650. it has 18000 miles, and has been a blast so far. today i was out working on low speed maneuvers ( i have to take my road test soon) and the bike did fine, i went to take off and head home and i rolled on the throttle, and the bike just revved like the clutch was engaged, then slowly accelerated. it accelerated pretty much as normal until 6-7 rpms then it would just rev and go nowhere. what happened? was it because i had to use the clutch for the low speed maneuvers? im kinda freaking out. i searched everything but couldnt find a specific answer that seemed to fit. i really need the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FRICK. how do i adjust it? ill start with that and if it needs work, ill go from there. shouldnt the clutch be unimportant once the lever is out and the bike is rolling along at speed? like i said, when im cruising at say 55 ill give it gas and the bike revs but only slowly accelerates.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
FRICK. how do i adjust it? ill start with that and if it needs work, ill go from there
Clutch adjustment:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54588

shouldnt the clutch be unimportant once the lever is out and the bike is rolling along at speed? like i said, when im cruising at say 55 ill give it gas and the bike revs but only slowly accelerates.
Not at all. Releasing the clutch takes the load off of the clutch springs (lets them expand) forcing the plates to squeeze together and stop slipping. If the springs are weak or the clutch plates are worn (and able to slide against each other), then the clutch will 'slip'. The first symptom of bad springs or plates on any bike I ever had was actually slipping in top gear at speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. can i still ride it ? i a scheduled for 1 pm tommorow, and i have class tonight so i cant work on it tonight. if i adjust the clutch will i be able to ride it down to class?

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can ride it if you get the clutch adjusted, otherwise you're just asking to crash when you lose power in the middle of a turn.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
My old RD400's would tighten up the clutch slack when I got them hot with lots of slipping in traffic sometimes. They'd return to normal when they cooled back down. Maybe you just got the clutch hot with all the low speed practice. Might be better now after a nights rest. You really should check the clutch adjustments even if it is behaving today as they are essential things to have spot on. Good luck with your test!:) And welcome to SVR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
passed the test! adjusted the clutch, doesnt slip much until 8-9 k now. im gonna tear apart my clutch cover and start fixing. i figure, i got a great deal on the bike it wont be too bad. not to mention, itll be bonding time with my bike lol

·
Registered
968 Posts
nicely done sir. since you bought it used your friction plates might just be going, too. you can usually find a set online for fairly reasonable, probably under $100. make sure you soak them in oil for the recommended amount of time or your clutch will be really grabby on standing starts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the help guys, today i got some new clutch plates, installed them. it went pretty easy. changed oil, filter and flushed coolant, and washed her. =) now my baby is runnin like a champ again. :vroom: i opened up the service manual and a piece of paper fell out. i guess my bike has a gsxr rear shock? is it stiffer than stock or what?? thanks again for the help!

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
thanks for the help guys, today i got some new clutch plates, installed them. it went pretty easy. changed oil, filter and flushed coolant, and washed her. =) now my baby is runnin like a champ again. :vroom: i opened up the service manual and a piece of paper fell out. i guess my bike has a gsxr rear shock? is it stiffer than stock or what?? thanks again for the help!
Good to hear.

The GSXR is better than stock - It works, and it is adjustable.
Stock is a piece of junk. So congrats!

·
Registered
768 Posts
18k and the clutch is gone? Was the bike used a stunt bike? lol. I'm still running the stock clutch on mine with double the miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts