Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Unfortunately, no witnesses stopped. So he lied and told the officer I merged into his lane and hit him.

We got into an argument and the officer had to break us up. Eventually they had to make it a "no-fault" accident since there were conflicting stories.

The guy was going like 70 in a 35 and tried to swerve around me to avoid a bus. He didn't have space so instead of slowing down he pushed into my lane and...well you can see the results.

I happened to notice he had "interlock ignition" on his drivers license.

This is why you should always stop at accidents even if you don't think they are serious. A witness can make the difference between getting the right guy or being screwed.

:angry4::angry4:

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I feel your pain. I was waiting at a red light and there was a caravan of brand new Budget Rent a Trucks(7or 8 of them) illegally parked at the curb. When the light turned green, I started to go and the entire caravan also started to go forward driving along the curb, not in a lane. One of the trucks, which of course cut me off, caught my front bumper on my Dakota and the result was similar to yours. I made the mistake of not calling the police, negotiating with the leader of this crew who admitted that his truck line should have waited and yielded to me. Later they all lied to their insurance co. and I had to replace the bumper and brackets on my own. There were no witnesses as well. Dealing with Budget was hopeless since they believed their employees. Live and learn, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What sucks is that he just barely caught the lip of the bumper on the lip of his wheel well. Which, for him, meant a few scratches and a dent. For me, it meant that literally my entire front bumper and grill were ripped off.

I checked where the frame met the bumper brackets. The bolts were sheered off, which is good. That's what they are suppose to do. Unfortunately, it warped out the bolt holes in the process. So I'm sure that's going to be more expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
And this is why more of us have a dash cam. Unfortunately that can be kind of bad if you were the one who suffered brain-fade.

How is the cost of repair/replace looking? Saturns are undervalued on the market so the replacement value should be low. I suspect you would need to do the repairs yourself to keep the costs reasonable using salvaged bits. There use to be a really good owners group with lots of walk throughs (had an SW-1 for 12 yrs, 115k). I suspect they died with the brand but it would be worth a search.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
And this is why more of us have a dash cam. Unfortunately that can be kind of bad if you were the one who suffered brain-fade.

How is the cost of repair/replace looking? Saturns are undervalued on the market so the replacement value should be low. I suspect you would need to do the repairs yourself to keep the costs reasonable using salvaged bits. There use to be a really good owners group with lots of walk throughs (had an SW-1 for 12 yrs, 115k). I suspect they died with the brand but it would be worth a search.

Good luck.
This is what I use as a dash cam. Works pretty good and 720p gives a nice clear video of plate numbers. :naughty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-80...tal_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2a1721820c

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
How did the cop figure the front of your car got pulled off, rather than pushed in, if you hit the other guy?

Similar thing happened to me years ago in Downtown Miami. Leaving work, I was in the right lane waiting at a light to make a right. A pickup truck full of Haitian day laborers was in the lane next to me. When the light changed, the truck made a right turn across the front of my car. The large steel rear bumper of the pickup hooked under my left front wheel well. I stopped and honked my horn and yelled -- to no effect. Their bumper tore through my car like a can opener on a can of tuna fish.

An officer responded, and I told him exactly what happened. The Haitians went nuts. "Why you lie?" they kept repeating. The cop didn't want to deal with it; wrote it up as "no fault"

So I asked the cop, "How could I have hit them, if the front of my car is torn open like that, with the metal pulled out? If I had hit them, the metal would be pushed in." His answer, "I can't tell what happened."

I hate liars and the lazy cops who enable them.

You might be able to press your insurance company to investigate who was at fault. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoke to my insurance. They're pissed off and are already making plans to seek reimbursement from his insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, at least my rental for the next week or two is a brand new Camaro. It's almost like a car vacation.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
How did the cop figure the front of your car got pulled off, rather than pushed in, if you hit the other guy?

Similar thing happened to me years ago in Downtown Miami. Leaving work, I was in the right lane waiting at a light to make a right. A pickup truck full of Haitian day laborers was in the lane next to me. When the light changed, the truck made a right turn across the front of my car. The large steel rear bumper of the pickup hooked under my left front wheel well. I stopped and honked my horn and yelled -- to no effect. Their bumper tore through my car like a can opener on a can of tuna fish.

An officer responded, and I told him exactly what happened. The Haitians went nuts. "Why you lie?" they kept repeating. The cop didn't want to deal with it; wrote it up as "no fault"

So I asked the cop, "How could I have hit them, if the front of my car is torn open like that, with the metal pulled out? If I had hit them, the metal would be pushed in." His answer, "I can't tell what happened."

I hate liars and the lazy cops who enable them.

You might be able to press your insurance company to investigate who was at fault. Good luck.
Unfortunately the police usually follow the general population on collisions like this and that it is an accident or ie no ones fault :rollingeyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts