Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a staple in my tire and i was seeing about getting it patched, and the shop owner called my continental road attacks gumball tires, and talked a bunch of trash about them. I've got 3K miles on my rear or hard stop and go traffic, 80% upright. I ride really hard. The tires are 2/3 of the way done, which is expected, or so i thought. He said that the tires were crap and wanted to sell me some a shinko rear tire for $120+ install, or a bridgestone rear tire for $250 installed. I think he just wanted me to buy the tire that he could sell for the most money. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think so too. I got 8.5k miles out of road attacks (gonna try roadsmarts on monday). Grip in all weather was great for me. Warm up quickly, and very stable thru a corner. I rode the **** out of them. Drag racing at the strip, lots of twisties, and lots of slab to get to the twisties. The last 1k miles they have progressively begun to slip and skip under acceleration, which is actually kinda fun :). For a cheaper tire they are excellent. Conti is a name brand tire company that makes many tires for many vehicles. I don't think they're quite as well known as Mich, but they are well known.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Don't walk away, run away.

You do not need that kind of service.

People who lie, distort the truth just to support their position to work on your bike are not to be trusted by word or deed.

There are more than enough local bike shops that will be straight with you.

Can't speak about conti bike tires, but the conti car tires I have had in the past are on par with Michelin and other top tire brands.

Shinko is better than conti?

Run like h e ll away from them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My shop told me that the conti front is a great tire for flat @ss florida. It was toasted at the time and it got replaced by a pilot power from them, for a great deal.

You want to go to go to a place where you're talking to shop employees, not salesmen.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the question is what tire should i put on the rear that will last longer, and give me the same grip as the conti's?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
so i got a staple in my tire and i was seeing about getting it patched, and the shop owner called my continental road attacks gumball tires, and talked a bunch of trash about them. I've got 3K miles on my rear or hard stop and go traffic, 80% upright. I ride really hard. The tires are 2/3 of the way done, which is expected, or so i thought. He said that the tires were crap and wanted to sell me some a shinko rear tire for $120+ install, or a bridgestone rear tire for $250 installed. I think he just wanted me to buy the tire that he could sell for the most money. What do you guys think?
Road Attacks are good tires. That salesman is a pile of crap. He was trying to sell you a new tire. And not necessarily one that you would be happy with.

Shinko's are inexpensive, and from what I have read, they don't work as well as a bigger name brand (more expensive) tire. I don't know first hand, because I won't buy them. Bridgestone's are good tires. Nothing wrong with them, and some people swear by them.

so the question is what tire should i put on the rear that will last longer, and give me the same grip as the conti's?
:dontknow: Another Road Attack? Pilot Road 2CT? Roadsmart? Battlax 021? Avon Storm? I really don't know which is better for you. Take your pick.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
^ I ran the shinko dual compound rear for a while, it's a really long wearing tire but cornering grip is'nt that great, never had it break loose at speed but it did break loose a lot when I rounded a corner and got on it just a bit too hard, I'm guessing thats because the harder center compound is a bit too wide for my style.

Now I have the battlax dual compound front and rear, they are pretty awesome, they wear long and grip hard, I can't blame the guy for trying to sell you one. $250ish is a pretty average price to purchase and mount on a 170/60/17 dual compound battlax rear.

I go through my local shop for pretty much everything so their usually willing to cut me deals and throw in stuff at cost but sometimes a new guy or salesman I have'nt dealt with before will try to get over on me, I just ask to talk to someone I've dealt with before when it happens.

I would'nt count them out just yet, wait a bit and talk to another person and see if their willing to be a little more straight up, but I really don't think the guy was trying to shaft you with a dunlop, it's a great tire and it's normal to pay that much installed and maybe if your a good customer it'll be cheaper next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts